Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jan 2001 21:27:35 -0800
From:         Michael Snow <mwsnow@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Diesel 4 speed vs. 5 speed  (was RE: "windage tray" and other I4
              conversion comments)  LONG!!!
Comments: To: The Southards <southard@GIS.NET>

As you noticed, Bentley says nothing about any differences between the 4 and 5 speed diesel Vanagons. However, the ETKA CD has some crude illustrations that show the parts and numbers. The basic differences are mostly related to the 5 speed transmission being about 10cm longer than the 4 speed. To accommodate the difference in transmission length, the following parts are different from the 4 speed. Some are standard waterboxer parts:

The engine carrier bars are curved differently and mount to the body using a different bracket system. The rubber motor mounts are moved to the new location and redesigned to eliminate the flat steel crossbar that goes from side to side on the 1982 vans.

The long coolant pipe (running to the front of the van) that is closest to the center of the van is changed to the newer style, like on waterboxer vans, and terminates in a different location in the engine compartment. The coolant expansion tank is redesigned and includes a provision for a coolant level sensor (like waterboxer). The new expansion tank has different sized hose barbs than the old one. You can guess what comes next...

The combination of the expansion tank and the coolant pipe necessitates a different hose design. Of course it is the huge octopus that runs from the side of the cylinder head and is the most expensive hose in the engine compartment. I speculate that the hose between the head and the heater is longer, but there may be enough slack in the 1982 hose to make up the difference. The coolant overflow tank (behind the license plate door) is changed to the waterboxer style for engine clearance.

The reduced space between the engine and rear of the body necessitates a different oil filler tube, which is curved at the bottom to clear the muffler. It is made of steel instead of plastic and has an unvented plastic cap. The cast aluminum elbow between the dipstick tube and the oil pan is eliminated, as is the troublesome o-ring.

Because of the curve, the oil filler tube cannot accommodate the dipstick, which is moved to the center of the block in the same hole that the cars use. The dipstick tube rises straight up from the block, makes a gentle 90 degree bend and continues horizontally to the rear of the van. It bolts to the injector pump bracket for stability. Mine cracked from engine vibration at the mount point and needs to be replaced :-( The dipstick handle is still available through the license plate door, but my hands get much dirtier checking the oil than they do on the '82.

The oil pan itself is interchangeable with the 1982 model, but incorporates an updated drain plug design and a threaded hole on the side of the pan for the turbocharger oil return line on TD vans.

The air intake system uses a different rubber elbow between the filter box lid and the magic cyclonic elbow.

The entire gear shifter system, from the knob all the way to the transmission is different.

Even with all of this stuff, I have probably still forgotten something! I contemplated swapping a 5 speed into my 1982 Westfalia for some time before the opportunity to buy this 1983 model came along. I'm glad I didn't try to tackle the job without a factory installation to use as an example. Not that 5 speed transmissions were falling from the sky anywhere near my house....

I hope this helps somebody. It's past my bedtime, I'm tired, and I have to prepare to pick up ANOTHER diesel VW tomorrow to add to my ever growing stable of never-ending projects. $100 for a Golf 4dr 5spd with blown engine! I just can't say no :-)

Mike Snow

<snip>

Mike, what is it about the 5 speed transmission that precludes the use of the 1982 style dipstick system? I don't follow this. Also, what is the advantage to the steel oil filler tube versus the plastic one on my '82? Is it steel or aluminum (as is the oil pan and the L-shaped flange that mates the filler tube to the pan)? Bentley doesn't seem to mention anything different about the 83 5 speed set-up.

<snip>