Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Jan 2001 07:31:38 -0500
From:         Jeff Birk <planetp@EARTHLING.NET>
Subject:      Re: S&S Headers oxygen sensor placement?
Comments: To: Jim Feehan <feehan@RRCOL.COM>

snip/ I tried to contact S&S many times but they never reply or call back. Has anyone else noticed this? /snip

YES !!!! I have experienced the worst treatment by S&S that I have ever had dealing with a supplier and I worked as a material-purchasing agent for an engine remanufacturer (Deere) for several years. My experience began one year ago when I purchased a header system and muffler from S&S. It arrived 3 weeks later after four phone calls to find out where it was. S&S claimed they had shipped it but it was lost in transit (I know, UPS). Two weeks later, I went to install the thing and discovered the 'slip' fit tubing for the header would not slip into place and slipped into the wrong place and stuck. I worked on this thing for two days. Speaking with S&S was becoming bi-weekly for me and they knew my name at the phone desk. Their engineering dept. indicated I was at fault and told me to apply heat to the tubing to get it to fit. Two days later, it would not budge. After several more phone calls I returned the item (UPS for the tracking) and when I got confirmation it was received, phoned them to get a resolve. They denied ever receiving it even though I have the signature of someone in the front office and the RGA# they assigned. No resolution. I then used my stock exhaust and bolted on the S&S muffler. One month later, noise from my Van was beginning to wake the neighbors and I investigated only to discover the muffler flange was warped. I am now out $300 for an entire system and just wanted to share this experience with the listees...(anyone want an S&S muffler with one month service and a warped flange?)

I would NEVER recommend an S&S product to anyone based on my experience with their quality (very poor) and their customer service (lack of and rude). If you are thinking of an S&S system, don't. Go to Stebro, surely someone who subscribes to this list understands the perils of some VW owners, besides his system is stainless and not flash-rust black paint like the S&S system. I'm sure someone has had a good experience with this company and perhaps even their system, I'm not here to lambaste the company just share my experience in dealing with them. I would welcome any response from S&S as I still posses all documentation of this transaction.

Stay cool and quiet.

Jeff Birk '89 Wolfsburg GL (Road Whale) '82 MB 240D (Slo Mo)