Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Jan 2001 09:59:24 -0700
From:         Keith Adams <keith_adams@TRANSCANADA.COM>
Subject:      Re: True cost of AMC heads for 1.9L and 2.1L: bare for $240
              to$216!
Comments: To: Dave Baker <djbaker@SPRYNET.COM>

This probably won't come out very smoothly, but...

Sodium filled (also known as sodium cooled) valves are used to transfer heat away from the hottest part of the head (i.e. that nasty part right in the combustion flame) to the cooler parts of the head. This will (theoretically) increase the life of the valves, make the heat distribution in the head more uniform (i.e. no major hot spot at the valves) which causes all sorts of problems, lower the temperature of the air whoosing into the combustion chamber (more power and efficiency).

The sodium in the valves actually melts when the engine is running. Neat, huh? Some argue that sodium filled valves do more harm than good, and that they are too expensive. For more on that, search for sodium filled valves in Lycoming aircraft engines. They say the heat transferred up the valve causes more valve guide wear and thus problems because they heat transferred up the valve stem causes carbonization of the oil. Sounds like they have chronic valve guide problems, and someone thought this would be a fix, but it wasn't, so they hate them now.

Keith Adams Calgary, Alberta, Canada 1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia "Roxy" (ne idea what valves are in it!)