Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Jan 2001 12:04:59 -0700
From:         Keith Adams <keith_adams@TRANSCANADA.COM>
Subject:      K&N, from K&N...

What I got from K&N....

Keith

"Blum, Richard" <RichardB@knfilters.com> wrote: > > Dear customer, > Our filters are tested by an outside, independent laboratory. They have > been proven to stop at least 99% of particles on a SAE dust test. This test > uses particles in the 0 - 5 micron range and goes up to 20 microns. For > comparison, a paper filter also stops 99% on the same test and the OEM > minimum standard is 96%. Foam is generally the worst media with a typical > efficiency rating of 75 - 85%. To get higher ratings, the foam must be more > dense and therefore way more restrictive. The "tack" characteristic of a K&N > allows for increase filtration without loss of flow as well. > The testing procedure used is SAE J-726 using ISO Coarse Test Dust. > This test is the standard of the air filter industry. The test procedure > consists of flowing air through the filter at a constant rate (airflow rate > is determined by the application) while feeding test dust into the air > stream at a rate of 1 gram per cubic meter of air. > As the filter loads with dust the pressure drop across the filter is > increased to maintain the prescribed airflow rate. The test is continued > until the pressure drop increases 10" H2O above the initial restriction of > the clean element (in this case .78" to 10.78" H2O). At this point the test > is terminated. The dirty filter element is then weighed. This weight is > compared to the clean element weight to determine the total Dust Capacity. > The amount of dust retained by the filter is divided by the total amount of > dust fed during the test to determine the Cumulative Efficiency. > > The K&N filter achieved the following results: > > Dust Capacity: 305 grams > > Cumulative Efficiency: 99.05 % > > Holding the filter to the light is useless, pin holes are normal. That > is what makes a K&N filter. There are actually hundreds of microscopic > fibers that cross these holes and when treated with oil, capture and hold > the very fine particles. On the same hand, they allow the filter to flow > more air than paper or foam. The filter is 4 ply cotton gauze unlike some > competitors synthetic material filters. The synthetics do not have the very > small fibers that natural cotton does. Also, the oil can be pulled off of a > foam filter contaminating electronic sensors. It will absorb into cotton > and stay in the media. In fact, Honda and Toyota only recommend K&N filters > when using aftermarket high flow filters as K&N is the only oiled brand of > filter the oil does NOT come off of. > We got started over 30 years ago making filters for motorcycles and off > road racers. The filters did so well that these guys wanted them for their > cars and trucks. We started making filters for these applications and here > we are today. If they did not work, we would not still be here and growing > every year. > We now make filters for Chrysler/Mopar, Ford Motorsports, Edelbrock, > Rotax Engines, and Harley Davidson. We come as original equipment on the > 2000 Ford Mustang Cobra-R. We even made the filters used in the Apache > helicopters used in Desert Storm and the US Marine Corps new Osprey > tilt-rotor aircraft. If they work in these conditions they will work for > you. > Thanks for writing, Rick