Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Jan 2001 11:38:04 -0800
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      Re: K&N filter
Comments: To: Bill Davidson <wdavidson@thegrid.net>

Sheesh, this thread is getting a bit tired!

anyway, have to add a couple more points.

The K&N filter I have is not a "foam type " as mentioned in the ASME report below. Its cotton with a wire mesh reinforcement.

I believe that the oiled filter matrix works in a combination of ways:

First as an exclusion type filter (like paper) where the pore size (or the spaces between the fibers) determines the size of particle that is excluded. I don't see any filter manufacturers stating the cut-off range for their filters...What size of particle gets through the paper filter? who knows. Anyway, for the K&N filter thsi "pore size" seems quite large.

Second, as a centrifugal type filter similar to the old oil bath set-up. Don't confuse this with "cyclonic type filters (although they use similar effects). What I mean here is similar to the analogy given of the tennis ball (baseball?) shot through a forest. The key point though, wasn't mentioned, that is the path of the airflow through the filter matrix is not a smooth or consistent one. The poor old dust particle will be swirled around the fibers, sooner or later (like the Porsche driver) it won't make the corner and hit (fall out of the stream) the fiber, which is covered in oil and thus traps the little bugger. Note that the spaces between each fiber are much, much larger than the particle size, the particle is not trapped by trying to squeeze through the forest, rather it is trapped because it cant make all the corners!

Trying to make the corner! poor and inaccurate analogy...more like the particle migrates to the area in the airstream that is flowing slower, and that would be the inside of the corner...just as sand is deposited in the inside bend of a river and tea leaves move to the middle of a stirred cup of tea.

The oil bath filters work like a whole bunch of mini cylconic separators. Granted the cyclonic separator is engineered carfully to create that special airflow that drops the dirt, but the filter matrix (horsehair, steel wool, cotton, whatever!) does the same thing.

Paper filters probably use this effect to sum degree too.

I once had the pleasure(?) of working with a benchtop Buchi spray drier, spray drying bacterial cultures (quite interesting how some Gram neg bugs take to the process!). The individual bacteria were around 2-3 microns long and 1 micron in diameter. The dried powder ranged in size from 1 micron to conglomerates 60-70 microns in diameter. I could trap that powder in a simple glass cyclonic separator. It was amzing to see the powder swirl down the outside of the separator then drop into the collection cup, the airflow continuing up through the central exit tube (just like a scaled down version of thsoe dust collectors seen outside woodworking shops). I'm not saying all of the dust wass collected by the cyclone, just that it was amazing that such small particles could be trapped at all.

So Bill, why not see if you can modify/enhance your syncro's cyclonic prefilter? Can it be made self cleaning? (electric trap door?). See how efficient it is in removing the bulk of the dust.

Do some experiments, generate some data!

Take air filter system off the van, hook it up to a shop vac of somthing to generate the appropriate air flow, measure some dust/dirt/sand, feed it into the system and see where it ends up. Come on, you're interested in getting the best info aren't you? :)

Alistair