Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Jan 2001 18:35:23 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <busdepot@EMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: FW: True cost of AMC heads for 1.9L and 2.1L: bare for $240
              to  $216!
Comments: To: Wolfvan88@AOL.COM

> Ron, > I did not want to step on toes...I was mainly trying to find a cheaper way to get heads to > those rebuilding there engines and not waste money on parts or labor that would not be > used. I know that the valves shipped with the heads tend to pull out of the keeper so > buyers are paying for valves that would not be used. If buying the head bare the buyers > simply would not be paying for parts or labor that would be wasted rather add the cost > to making the head better. > > I rember the shipping costs of my heads was not all that much , > around $20 for a pair CA to NC.

You're not stepping on toes at all. I agree with you about the advantage of ordering bare heads. In fact the only reason that I haven't offered them bare before is that in the past Marnal has typically not had them. (In fact a while back I tried to get them bare in quantity and couldn't make it work.)

My point about shipping was simply that you hadn't considered it in your calculation. If you're right that it is $20/pair one way (a bit low, I think, considering 2 UPS price increases in the last 6 months plus a new "fuel surcharge"), plus then add about the same or a bit less to get them to me from Marnal, then maybe it's an extra $20 or $25 per head. I may be overestimating when I said up to $40 per head, but I'd rather estimate high than low. Bottom line is it will cost what it costs, but one thing for sure is it ain't free. :-(

And as I said I would be more than happy to help with a list deal. (It wouldn't be my first; I've helped facilitate at least half a dozen list deals over the years.) The only question is whether there is sufficient demand for it. I'm guessing that we're probably talking a real savings of maybe $25-30 per head, to order them as a bulk deal versus one or two at a time as needed. If you need heads now (or expect to in the near future), it's definately worth participating in a group deal and saving the bucks, no question about it. On the other hand, if you don't need heads now, the savings may not be enough to justify buying them just to put them on a shelf for a rainy day (versus getting them when you need them).

So those are the choices. Group deal now. Or I can add bare heads to my next stock order (I have complete ones already) and you can order when needed, but for a bit more money. Or both. (One doesn't preclude the other; even if there is a group deal I can always throw a few extras in for stock. Murphy's law assures us that someone's head will fail ten minutes after the group deal is closed :-)

So it all comes down to a question of listmember participation. How many people want them right now at a lower price? (And what do you want: bare or complete, 1.9 or 2.1, and how many? I should note that 2.1L heads also work on a 1.9 block if replaced in pairs, so ordering one pair of 2.1's will maximize your future options.). Obviously someone should make a count. (Robert, it's your baby; do you want to do it, or should I?) If there is enough interest we can come up with a final price based on the quantity requested, and then post the pricing so that others can join in if interested. If not, worst case is I'll just order a handful to keep in stock for listmembers' future needs.

- Ron Salmon The Bus DepotŪ, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW