Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:44:32 -0800
From:         Zach Kaplan <zakaplan@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: VW to cut 2001 Eurovan price by 16 pct in U.S
Comments: To: ev_update@egroups.com

> DETROIT, Jan 9 (Reuters) - German automaker Volkswagen AG will cut the U.S. > price of its Eurovan by 16 percent and boost engine power in an effort to > pump up sales of the vehicle, VW's chief of U.S. operations said on Tuesday. > > Gerd Klauss told Reuters at the North American International Auto Show here > that the 2001 Eurovan, when it goes on sale in March, will sell for $26,200, > $5,100 less than the 2000 model. In addition, the vehicle's V-6 engine has > been boosted to 201 horsepower from 140, and a full-time traction-control > system has been added.

Not good enough. I won't buy one until they offer the very economical and high in low RPM torque 2.5 litre 5-cylinder TDI engine in the US. With the higher power V-6 it will just be another overpowered, uneconomical V-6 van on the US market. What VW really needs to do is to take advantage of their German design and production resources and exploit the unfilled van niches in the US market, such as the need for a relatively economical diesel powered van that is smaller than the huge Ford and GM full size diesel vans. If VW doesn't do it Daimler-Chrysler will beat them to it in offering a modern turbo direct injection diesel van on the US market and VW will lose one more opportunity to regain their US market presence.

Zach Kaplan