Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Jan 2001 17:59:53 -0800
From:         sg <sg@SUNSETWINONA.COM>
Subject:      how did this happen ... ?

hello list,

today i undertook a tuneup to my 85 vanagon westfalia. it consisted in trying to install a new distributor cap, new rotor, and new spark plugs. i got the kit from the bus depot. in theory, it should have been so simple ... ;) i mean, i have experience doing engine work, although not on my westy yet, ive only had it a couple of months. mostly my experience is with motorcycles, in the form of brake jobs, carb rebuilds, general maintainence.

heres how it went:

i bought this tune up kit from the bus depot which includes a distributor cap, rotor, and 4 spark plugs. i

just now tried to install. i figured it would be a fairly straight forward job. well, i took off the wire from the ignition coil to the dist cap, and the four wires from the distributor cap to the spark plugs. i inspected them, etc, measured resistence, they seem fine. so

then i took off the distributor cap, and also the rotor (small piece that turns around and around under the distr cap). i put the new rotor on, and then the new distr cap. then, when i was about to reconnect all

the electrical leads, i noticed that they didnt fit the connectors on the new cap. looking around in the manual, i discover that my cap has old style connectors, whereas the replacement has new style, but my wires are old style as well. so i cant use the new parts until i get new wires, i guess. anyhow, so i replace the old rotor and distributor cap. then i take a look at the plugs. oops, i dont have the right size

spark plug adaptor for my socket wrench. hmm. guess i have to get the right one before i can put the new plugs in. so now i hook everything back up, keeping in mind that its all still the original stuff. i wasnt

able to replace anything. and then i have this thought, like i wonder if there is a special order or way the distributor cap should be put on,

and if i have the right leads going to the right plugs. well, its not that complicated, and i looked at it, and it all seems to be going where

it should, ie the connector on the distributor cap ive connected to the spark plug that seems to correspond positionally closest to it. well, lo and behold, i go to start it and nothing. the engine turns over but doesnt catch. so ... huh. well, i go back and take off the distr cap and the rotor and all the leads, look at everything really closely, and put it all back together again, and same thing, wont start. so i do this again, really scurtinizing all the parts, but really its not that complicated, so i put it back together, and thats where i am. ive tried

to start it, it kind of wheezes, and tries to catch once or twice, but then just doesnt. and my battery is starting to wear down.

any ideas where i went wrong?

steve