Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jan 2001 13:13:07 -0800
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Help! Appeal for data
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

David, this variation has bothered me for years and I hope you can get to the bottom of this. I have seen both behaviors in several Vanagons but it never made sense as the wiring diagrams each look pretty much the same in this area. My 83.5 would blink the led with a low level in the tank but the gauge would stay put. I had a water pump seal failure on a long trip once and I would just drive with the led flashing and then stop to add coolant when the needle rose a little above normal. Nerve wracking to say the least but this is preferable to the behavior of yours as you can't tell the nature of the condition causing the warning. It seems like the possible explanations are a wiring error, a defect in the warning control unit, or a design difference in some units. Have you tried removing the level warning control unit to see if that disables the level warning? What is the part number on your warning unit? What is inside the thing, do you know?

1982 water cooled Vanagons have the connector hanging from the wiring near the coolant tank but these tanks have no threaded hole for the level switch. On these models there is no warning control unit and the wire to the unused level switch connector is merely wired in parallel to the gauge temp sender. I would expect this to work like yours if there was a switch in the tank to connect to. I think that the ones that behave like yours might cause a lot of the head aches some people have in bleeding the cooling system after servicing it. Having the gauge shoot up and led start blinking every time some air gets pushed to the tank would be a pain.

page 97.38 1982 diesel page 97.43 1983 diesel page 97.56 1983,84 page 97.92 1985 page 97.75 1986, early page 97.92 1986, late page 97.109 1987 page 97.127 1988,89 page 97.209 1990,91

Mark