Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jan 2001 23:03:04 -0500
From:         Martin Jagersand <jager@CS.JHU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: FW: Need injection pump number please
Comments: To: Bryan.Belman@esavio.com

Hi,

Good luck with your swap. I don't think you can tune a 1.6 pump exactly like a 1.9 pump, because the plunger diameter is different. (9mm and 11mm I think) so for a given cam rise the 1.9 pump will deliver more fuel. So even if the 1.6 pump is set to deliver the same quantity as the 1.9 pump it will take longer part of the stroke = longer time.

That said, I know many people who interchange 1.9 and 1.6 pumps and in practice it works fine. You can also fine tune the fuel delivery yourself after it's installed and you can see where the actual smoke limit is for your particular engine, intake, exhast etc.

Anyway, I'll get the numbers to you when I can. I'm moving again, so won't get to my vw stuff for a while.

The oil filters are the same for the 1.9 and 1.6. And yes, do use the oil cooler. Otherwise you risk overheating the oil. In fact you risk doing that anyway with the turbo engine.

Happy New Year!

Cheers, Martin ------------