Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jan 2001 18:13:19 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Hella Raintronic wipers (was: Why I hate UPS...)
Comments: To: LA & Glen <lagcook@telusplanet.net>

Glen

It's the Hella Raintronic, which is sold as a kit but also as a factory fitting in some VWs, BMWs, Mercedes etc. Saabs too, I bet.

It comprises a light-sensitive sensor which you stick to a swept portion of your windshield close as possible to the mirror, some wiring and a relay which replaces the VW wiper-control relay plugged into your fuseboard. You then have to mess around a bit turning it on & off per instructions to get it set, then just set it to on and leave it set on intermittent (ensure your wipers are not connected in such a way as to be live when ignition is off, or they'll come on in the middle of the night while you're asleep and flatten the battery!).

If it begins to drizzle the wipers will automatically come on at a long-interval intermittent rate; as the rain increases the interval will shorten, until with proper rain the wipers will operate at normal "on" speed. The slowest interval is 60 seconds, if I remember correctly. My van's in storage, so I don't know when I'll be able to fit the unit and try it out!

Prices are steep everywhere. Hella NZ isn't going to import them due to this, but very kindly offered me one of the 2 sets brought in for evaluation...for a mere equivalent of $350US! And the relay probably wouldn't have been correct for the Caravelle.

Shortly after this, in June last year, I found that a Canadian outfit had them on special. Normal price $340.00, special $272CD. Shipping to NZ airmail $20CD. I bought one. Specify your vehicle. Contact PG Performance, 10845 - 148th St, Surrey, BC, Canada V3R 3Y2, <www.pgperformance.com/accessories/wiper.htm> or contact Melanie <pgperf@bc-alter.nrt>.

PG also has Bonrath 4-nozzle wiper jet kits which attach to the wiper arms. Apparently truckies love these. I got one for $24CD. Keep your reservoir topped-up!

Andrew