Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jan 2001 20:11:40 +0200
From:         Stebbins <stebbins@AUCEGYPT.EDU>
Subject:      Cairo Report:  Sinai trip (long)

This is a report of our trip to the southern half of Egypt’s Sinai peninsula.

For those of you who believe that a picture is worth a thousand words, you can see pictures of our trip at http://www.photopoint.com . Enter this email address in the box where it says "friend's e-mail", -- click on the word "visit". There are other pictures there too, if you like to see pictures of vanagons in front of a pyramids.

In preparation for the trip, I checked the dwell, timing, changed the oil and cleaned the K&N air filter, rotated the tyres.. We also read our various tour books and maps and what we read encouraged us, and so we left on our trip. Having stocked up on food and water, we set off.

Over nine days, and 2000 kilometers of travel through the southern Sinai, our expectations were more than fulfilled. This part of Sinai is an amazing place, full of natural beauty of all sorts: mountains, rugged wadis (dry river beds), lovely coastline and world-renowned coral reefs. Adding to our enjoyment was the weather, which was nearly perfect throughout the trip: almost every day was sunny and warm (20-25 C), the skies cloudless and clear – so clear that the outlines of the mountains were so precise as to seem almost unreal. The few clouds we saw were either quite transitory, or furnished us, on one night, with a spectacular crimson-grey-blue-orange sunset. The nights were cool (sometimes with temperatures as low as 2 C), and we were treated to vast clear skies sparkling with stars. This was an environment as wonderfully different from Cairo as we could imagine!

We began by driving east to Suez and heading south along the west coast of the Sinai, then turning inland (east) along a road which traverses the great wadi Feiran (see album). Our destination was the most rugged interior of the southern Sinai: in particular, the Greek Orthodox monastery of St. Katherine and the nearby Gebel Musa (Mount Moses, a.k.a. Mount Sinai). We climbed Mount Sinai (2285 metres), a climb that took us about 5 hours on a circular route: an ‘easier’, more meandering, climb up a well-worn path, and a descent down the approximately 3700 ‘Steps of Repentance’, carved into the mountain's rock by the monks. At Mount Sinai’s summit we had a panoramic view of the many mountains surrounding it, including Gebel (Mount) Katherina, at 2642 metres Sinai’s highest mountain. We even noticed small patches of snow not far from the summit! (Nearly a white Christmas. We shared the mountain with only two women, German tourists.

We visited St. Katherine’s Monastery (for more information, see the web site http://www.greece.org/gopatalex/stkatherine.html ) the following day quite early in the morning. Given its (most attractive and dramatic) location in a wadi leading to Mount Sinai, and on the spot where the burning bush is reputed to be located, this monastery has always been popular, for tourists and pilgrims (of a variety of faiths). (See album.) We found it to be quite fascinating – in particular, its Basilica of the Transfiguration: relatively small, as basilicas go, I think, but ornately decorated with hanging lamps and many old and beautiful icons. Also of interest was the crypt of the chapel of Saint Tryphon, just outside the monastery walls, which has been turned into an ossuary to house the remains of monks (due to lack of space in the cemetery).

At this point I think I should mention something about our accommodations on the trip, as you may be wondering where we stayed in this rugged area. Of course we were traveling in my 91 Syncro Westy; however, Egypt is not exactly set up for the individual camping tourist (i.e., there are very few conveniently located official campsites), so we took advantage of the landscape and spent all but one of our nights camping in wadis. The one exception was a site in an official campground in the Ras Muhammad National Park (more on this later). Regardless of where we camped, however, we had no access to facilities like running water and showers. We used a “Solar Shower” which served us extremely well for showers throughout our trip. It was more shower than solar, but by heating water on the stove and putting that in the “Solar Shower” we were able to shower frequently.

The first couple of nights, while we were in and around Mount Sinai, we found two especially nice spots off the main asphalt road, in wadis through which fairly good desert tracks ran. Our second night’s camp spot was particularly memorable. We camped in an area known as the Blue Desert (numerous boulders in the area were painted blue. When we first read about this so-called Blue Desert, we thought it sounded a little tacky – not so! The area is a strikingly beautiful plateau, opening out from a wadi, and is made even more beautiful – haunting, actually – by the blue boulders.

We left to St. Katherine’s monastery and continued eastward. We had discovered that along this particular road there were a couple of sites of archaeological interest: “nawamis” (small, circular, prehistoric (4th millennium B.C.) tombs, ( http://mitglied.tripod.de/salome/culture.htm ); and Rock of Inscriptions in Nabataean, Greek, Roman, Byzantine, and from the period of the Crusades.

After driving back and forth along the same stretch of road several times, we realized that we weren’t having much luck finding the turnoffs to either site. We decided to avail ourselves of a Bedouin guide, whose services became known to us through a small sign at the side of the road, which said something like “camel safaris and guides”. Back onto the main road we went, and after a few kilometers, the guide indicated to us a small turnoff onto a desert track. After traveling a few metres it became clear that four-wheel drive was needed.

Now, I usually drive with the front drive shaft removed. So I had to installed the drive shaft (20 minutes). Not more than a few hundred meters it became obvious that I was not driving a dune buggy and we became stuck in loose sand! All four wheels spinning (in granny gear) and spitting sand all over the place thus digging the van deeper into the sand, and coming to rest on the skid plates. It took about half an hour of digging (and jacking up each wheel in turn) before the van could carry on. We were glad that we had persevered – the “nawamis” were quite impressive, with about twenty of them scattered over a fair expanse of desert (see album).

Encouraged by our success, off we went in search of the Rock of Inscriptions. The guide directed us back to the main road, and on to a track on the opposite side of the road. But … shortly after we turned onto the track, I was faced with an short uphill stretch of loose sand….again 4,000 RPMs in granny gear just dug a hole for the van to rest upon. We drew quite a crowd of Bedouin men, some on foot, on camel, or in trucks. What made being stuck particularly frustrating this time was that we only needed to move about five metres to be out of the worst of the sand. Again, with shoveling and some pushing and using the floor mats as a “sand latter”, we were able to extricate the van. The Rock of Inscriptions was worthwhile – the inscriptions covered quite a large area of the rock, and were, indeed, in several languages (see album).

We drove our guide back to his home with no further incident – the afternoon’s adventures having taken much longer than we anticipated – we hunted out a wadi off the main road and set up camp for the night (see album).

The next day’s destination was a place called the “Coloured Canyon”. Like numerous of our excursions, this one also took us off the main road and along a desert track through a wadi – this time, one we were able to find by ourselves. After about a good hour of very scenic driving along a fairly good track.

As with so many aspects of this trip, our hike through the Coloured Canyon far exceeded our expectations, tall, smooth, water- and wind-scoured walls were a soft and sensuous blend of exquisite colours: blues, reds, yellows, pinks, grays The entire hike took a little over two hours, and was, perhaps, the best single two-hour stretch of the trip for us.

Next we headed towards Sinai’s east coast, and found another wadi off the road in which to spend the night (see album). The next morning we reached the coastal road and followed it a short way north, close to the Israeli border. We stopped briefly to look out at Pharaoh’s Island ( http://www.interknowledge.com/egypt/sinai/phisland.htm ), noted for the castle built there by the Crusaders in the 12th century.

The main road turned inland at a town called Nuweiba; we decided instead to follow a track, indicated on our map, which continued along the sea shore, and which we found with a minimum amount of difficulty. We carried on for a couple of hours, having a grand old time, enjoying the turquoise water … when, on rounding a corner, we came upon a Bedouin encampment, and … a dead end!!! In front of us, the road was obliterated by a landslide! My first reaction was: oh, blast! My wife was particularly chagrined since, she is the official navigator.

While my wife worked herself into a first-class snit, an elderly local Bedouin guy came up to my window and (thought gesticulation) asked for a spark plug wrench. So out I jumped and retrieved my tool kit from atop the van and he and I were soon under the hood of his Landrover. This small act of kindness prompted an invitation for us to join several of the Bedouin men for tea. We were welcomed with hospitality, and were invited to supper and to stay the night (which we did, in the van). As we sat and chatted with one man in particular, (in English)– about tourists, about his fishing escapades in the Gulf of Aqaba, about life in the desert – we all relaxed a little and started to enjoy the serendipity of it all. This particular spot – called Ras Abu Galum -- was quite picturesque, actually; the Bedouin encampment was situated on a small, sheltered bay surrounded by rugged mountains (see album). Soon we settled in for the night.

The next morning we departed via an alternative, inland route (which our new acquaintances told us about the previous evening) which led up through Wadi Risasa, northwest back to the main highway. Again a desert track, and very scenic (something we’d come to expect from our trips through Sinai’s wadis – see album).

Back on the main road we headed south and arrived at the tourist town of Sharm el-Sheikh, what a huge difference from where we had been camping. We weren’t equipped for snorkeling, nor trained for diving (the two wetter alternatives for exploring the reefs), so a glass bottomed boat tour was an acceptable alternative. Fish of varied shapes and sizes, and bright, often luminescent colours (reds, greens, yellows, blues, etc.), swimming singly and in astonishingly co-ordinated schools; large coral reefs which contained all sorts of coral types I never knew existed; as well as sea anemones and other underwater sea creatures. Another experience which exceeded our expectations!

We carried on a short distance farther south, to the southernmost tip of Sinai – Ras Muhammad National Park. Here we stayed in our only ‘official’ camp site: a quiet spot on a protected bay, nearly 500 metres from the only other campers in the park. It was here, as we set up camp, that we were treated to our most glorious sunset of the trip – so beautiful that I climbed a nearby small hill and sat for a while, marveling.

From the park we headed north, up the west coast of the Sinai. About half-way up the coast toward Suez, and inland via a series of wadis, is an archaeological site called the temple of Serabit el-Khadem (http://www.interknowledge.com/egypt/sinai/serabit.htm ). This temple was built in the area where turquoise mines were established during pharaonic times; initially the temple was dedicated to the goddess Hathor, ‘the lady of turquoise’. It’s considered to be one of the two most important archaeological sites in the Sinai (the other being Pelusium, near the Mediterranean coast).

This temple was “in back of beyond”, we drove on a series of desert tracks for at least two hours, arriving at a cluster of Bedouin encampments. We hired a guide, a young Bedouin boy from one of the villages. He then led us on a three-hour circular hike, up one wadi, onto the highlands where the temple is located, and down from the highlands through another wadi and back to the van. The path was very narrow, and dropped rather alarmingly away into a steep canyon below (see album). But the trip was worth it, trying to imagine ceremonial life here nearly 4000 years ago.

Upon leaving the area, on our way toward the main road, we managed to miss a turn, and ended up wending our way along fairly good desert roads, and in more or less the right direction (we were able to check using a compass we have in the van) – but with no main road in sight. We have no idea what road we took but after about 100 kms we did hit the main paved road to Suez.

After crossing under the Suez Canal, we were treated to a first class sand storm! It lasted the whole 100 kms to Cairo. At some points visibility was reduced to 20 or 30 metres.

As you can undoubtedly tell, we had a wonderful time in the Sinai, and this trip has whetted our appetites for future, and, we hope, even better adventures!

I’m glad to report that we had NO! vanagon troubles, but the K&N air filter did get VERY clogged, but it did not seem to affect the van at all.

If you have read this far, thanks for sharing this experience.