Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Jan 2001 10:08:42 +1000
From:         Simon Glen <simonglen@BIGPOND.COM>
Subject:      Re: Simple Question about VIN's
Comments: To: Peter Cassidy <pcassidy@APPLE.COM>

G'day!

Peter Cassidy wrote that the VIN is "stamped into a plate which is rivetted on. On US vehicles, it's on the driver's side ...."

Actually, that is where the plate occurs on US-spec vehicles but others have the plate rivetted to the right side front door pillar between the hinges. On Australian-spec vehicles this is called a "compliance plate" and this is rivetted to the cross member under the dashboard on the right side (driver's side). And, to quote Volkswagen themselves, "vehicles for export to certain countries have no identification plate".

However, the vehicle identification number itself on all German (Hanover) and Austrian (Graz) made vehicles regardles of market or specification "is stamped under the vehicle on the rear facing side of front cross member" (quoting VW) just behind the right side door. But, on early eighties South African-made T3 Transporters, Pick-ups and Microbuses this number is stamped on the right side of the forward lip of the engine bay. I don't know about later South African models.

On many German and Austrian made vehicles there is also a "Vehicle Data Sticker" which is located either on the left or right cross member under the dash. This sticker (which is easily scratched off) contains the following data:

1. Production control number 2. Vehicle identification number 3. Model code number 4. Model explanation 5. Engine and gearbox code letters 6. Paint number/interior trim code 7. Optional extra numbers (M-option codes)

Finally, (!) from 1987 Australian vehicles also have a very small plate rivetted to the front right side door pillar which gives the "Built Date" which tells us the month and year in which the vehicle actually left the factory.

Regards, Simon Glen, Toowoomba, Australia 1992 VW T3 Transporter Syncro van 1969 VW 411