Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Jan 2001 12:56:59 -0500
From:         The Southards <southard@GIS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Diesel 4 speed vs. 5 speed
Comments: cc: "mwsnow@HOME.COM" <mwsnow@HOME.COM>

Mike: Maybe there is more difference between the oil pans than we think. I performed the same test you did this past summer and recorded different results. I posted these results to the list in November, 2000 :

http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0011D&L=vanagon&P=R16837

I just tested again (the oil pan is still off!). At 2.75 qts the water begins to run over the rear left lip of the oil pan. Maybe the 5 speed oil pan is deeper (does the elimination of the flat steel crossbar permit this?).

Maynard OvO '79 '82 Westy Diesel "Reinhardt"

<southard@GIS.NET> wrote: <snip> > I'm pretty sure that the > static oil level in the pan is above the gasketed joint between the oil pan > and block on the left side of the engine. <snip>

<mwsnow@HOME.COM> wrote: > > Don't bet on it. We measured with the oil pan off the engine when I was > having oil pump pickup problems. It was a bit unscientific, but 4 quarts of > water fit in the pan when the bottom of the pan was on a level surface. > Certainly, the oil sloshes, splashes, and drains all over the gasket on the > lower side of the engine.

mwsnow@home.com wrote: <snip> > The engine carrier bars are curved differently and mount to the body using a > different bracket system. The rubber motor mounts are moved to the new > location and redesigned to eliminate the flat steel crossbar that goes from > side to side on the 1982 vans. <snip> > > The oil pan itself is interchangeable with the 1982 model, but incorporates > an updated drain plug design and a threaded hole on the side of the pan for > the turbocharger oil return line on TD vans.