Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Jan 2001 15:25:50 -0500
From:         John <johnpatt@WARWICK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Gauges & sendinig unit installation
Comments: To: Hector Zapata <hector.zapata@xrxgsn.com>

Hector Zapata wrote: > > hi, John > didn't receive the schematic for connecting the gauges, would it be too much > trouble to try again? Thank you > -----Original Message----- > From: John <johnpatt@warwick.net> > To: Hector Zapata <hector.zapata@xrxgsn.com> > Date: Friday, January 05, 2001 12:11 AM > Subject: Re: Gauges & sendinig unit installation > > >Hector Zapata wrote: > >> > >> Hi, I'm also interested on whatever experience you care to share. > > > >Hi Hector, > > > >I've attached two documents. the wordy one is my procedure for > >installing the oil temperature sensor in the crankcase. If you don't > >want to drill the case, you can remove the mechanical fuel pump plate > >next to the distributor and drill and mount the oil temp sensor there. > >There is a lot of oil thrown around that area from the cam gear so > >you'll still get a decent oil temp reading, just not as accurate as when > >the sensor is immersed in engine oil. The schematic is the plumbing > >needed to add a typical oil pressure sending unit to the existing 0.3 > >Bar switch location under the PRTs. You can get all the 1/8" brass > >threaded pipe from the Home Depot. If you use Teflon tape(and you > >should), you may need to ground strap the O/P sending unit for accurate > >readings. > > > >The coolant temperature sensor addition was simple as I tee'd with the > >original sender as shown. I got all my gauges(Volts, coolant temp, oil > >pressure & oil temp)and sending units from JC Whitney. My gauges are red > >digital and go black when shut off--looks great at night. They were a > >little pricey but easier to read than analog gauges. So far the oil temp > >sender and oil pressure sender has failed but JCW replaced them under > >warranty-- the gauges work perfectly! I also installed an additional > >coolant temp sensor in FRONT of the thermostat so with the flick of a > >toggle switch I can see the engine temp and the temp of the coolant > >returning from the radiator from the same gauge! > > > >Regards, John

Hi Hector,

Here you go......John