Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:41:25 EST
From:         Rico Sapolich <JKrevnov@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 head repair / JB Weld Musings

In a message dated 1/15/01 4:11:30 PM, dgalcock@HEWITT.COM writes:

<< Sam Walters' "culled from the archives" treatise (all 11 pages of it) on JBWelding your leaky cylinder heads is now at http://www.vanagon.org >>

On this forum, I have often read of using JB Weld to fill corrosion pits on heads. I wonder how suitable that really is. I have only used JB Weld once as a grout on a semi-precision leveling job and it seemed to me to be about the same as Devcon Plastic Steel Putty. The maximum operating temperature of Plastic Steel, and most other Devcon putties, is 250˚F. The few Devcon products, such as their Titanium Putty, which have higher operating temperatures cost about 10 times as much as JB Weld, so, I tend to believe that the JB product is probably rated for the lower operating temperature. Perhaps the use of the word 'weld' in its name relays a false sense of prowess. Someone even recently wrote of using it on the exhaust system.

With this in mind, I recently noticed a product announcement in a metalworking trade journal which may be of interest to some. The product is Durabond 7032 Metallic Stainless Putty made by Cotronics Corp. of Brooklyn, NY. It "fills, bonds, protects and repairs to 2000˚F . . . cures at room temperature to form a machinable composite with high bond strength " You read that correctly, 2000 DEGREES F. I am sure this stuff is not cheap, but think of the possibilities. As a group purchase, we could buy a barrel of 7032 then have a lister who is familiar with lost wax casting replicate 2.1 heads in beeswax. Then, we find someone with forearms like Popeye, fill one of those cattle insemination syringes with 7032, and pump the stuff into the molds. In short order, AMC would be coming to US for heads.

Rich