Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Jan 2001 12:19:46 -0700
From:         Gerald Masar <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Coleman Black Cat mount for Westy & question re elec. ign. of same

Volksfolks, I guess with cold weather and snow even here in Arizona, I can start up this topic again. I recently got my Black Cat catalytic propane heater to use in the Westy, but didn't want it on the floor. Here is what I did. I don't use the front table ( and long ago swapped the smaller front table for use in the back) so I removed the spring retainer that holds the knob on the front table arm, so I could insert it from the top. The holder for the heater is a piece of 4" PVC pipe (I used elect. conduit, very heavy, with a 3 7/8" ID and 1/4" wall thickness, and it's gray to match the interior.) 6 3/4 " long. The propane tank fits perfectly inside this pipe. To attach the pipe to the table arm, I made a bracket out of a steel strap 1 1/4" wide by 7 3/4" long by 3/32" thick. Bend the strap so that it has a flat top section and two legs, one longer than the other so that it holds the pipe at the proper angle for the heater. On the end of each leg, bend a foot about 3/4" long, also at an angle. The bracket is then secured to the pipe with 4 1/2" SS hose clamps. Drill a hole in the top flat part of the bracket, about 1" from the edge of the shorter leg, for the threaded end of the knob to fit. Get a metric nut to fit the knob and some washers for spacers and attach the bracket and that's it. Remove the front stand from the Black Cat and put the propane tank in the PVC pipe. Works great and since both the arm and the bracket rotate, it can be pushed back between the front seats or extended out toward the back seat. A fair sized dog or very small people person can walk under it. Just one caution, when people see it without the heater in place, it looks suspiciously like a rocket launcher, esp. when pointed toward the open sliding door!

There were a few other refinements. For more info, ask.

Now I have a question: Does anyone with the Black Cat with electronic ignition have trouble lighting it???

Jerry