Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Jan 2001 12:59:27 -0700
From:         Keith Adams <keith_adams@TRANSCANADA.COM>
Subject:      Re: road trip report - Calgary/Seattle
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

WHAT?? I CAN'T HEAR YOU! IT WAS A LONG TRIP!

I should have been more specific I guess...

I used C-weighted line, slow meter response. I used a Realistic model 33-2050 sound level meter. According to the noise control engineers here at work (who I borrowed it from) said it performs very favourably with their mega dollar digital equipment they have. This meter does have A and C lines, fast and slow response. Also an output to a recorder (no idea how to use it).

I wasn't trying to get everyone into a panic that driving a vanagon is going to cause hearing damage (my apologies for boggling the definitions for threshold of hearing damage!). Just trying to relate that the sound levels in the van are quite high, even without 4 12" subs and 2500W driving them. I'm just trying to establish a baseline to gauge reductions in road noise due to various sound proofing treatments. Thus why I used full spectrum C weighting. And the stupid thing is, I never did a check at idle. Oh well, I think I'm going to buy one of these babies for use in setting up my home theater anyways.

"C-weighting is nearly uniform over the frequency range 32 Hz to 10 kHz, thus giving an indication of the overall sound level. The A-weighting responds primarily to frequencies in the 500 Hz to 10 kHz range, which is the area of greatest sensitivity of the human ear." (quote from the owner's manual).

I want to be sure that I can get the overall sound levels down. Without an accompanying spectral analysis, neglecting the frequencies below 500 Hz (which is still a fairly high frequency - I'm sure the droning of tires is in that range) might be missing something. Anybody have a spectrum analyzer they'd like to pass on for free? =)

Thanks for catching that David. Keith

David Beierl wrote: > > A-weighted or C-weighted? Only the A-weighted number is valid for > hearing-damage purposes...(C-weighted is flat, A-weighted rolls off the low > end considerably). Also, was it a $30 Radio Shack meter like mine, or a > "real" one (there are $250 meters available, but to do OSHA industrial > measurements you need the $1200 one as I recall (all prices about 15 years > old...). > > I think it would be great to use the RS meter since they're cheap, > available everywhere, and I *think* fairly consistent from meter to > meter. Also it would be good to have both C- and A- numbers, also possibly > fast and slow meter damping (four readings in all). > > david