Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:32:22 +0000
From:         Ken Wyatt <kokopellis@ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: snow white again [No vanagon content]
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

Hi folks, Someone asked what the snow white virus does. The original virus was somewhat harmless it would corrupt your wsock32.dll file and then send itself out to others in your address book.

Well, there is more. It also has the capacity to access a virus newsgroup and update itself with new plugins.

For example I got infected with the .dr version which infects many executable files. I have since eradicated the infection but I am now at a crossroads. I still cannot access my email or the internet at my home computer. I am afraid I have damaged a number of windows executable files. So I am trying to determine the best route of action from here. I think it has something to do with 16 bit or 32 bit.

1. Save what I can and reformat and reinstall windows and everything else or 2. Try to extract the myriad of *.dll files from my windows CD. I finally replaced my wsock32.dll and winsock.dll files . I now can connect to my ISP but my browsers are unable to create a network socket connection. Not sure what to do next.

The moral is keep your anti virus software current, don't click on attachements, and have backups.

This is based on first hand experience. If anyone has questions let me know. I have been down since Jan.6.

Anyone have a clue or recommend what I should do next?

Thanks, Ken Wyatt > Hi Ray -- I looked through 23,000 list messages and none of them came from > that group of IP numbers. I don't think it has anything directly to do > with the list... > > cheers, > david > > At 03:27 AM 1/16/2001, Ray Hunnam wrote: > >David, Bill and List > > > >Following the topic of the last few messages I have checked my entire hard > >drive. > > David Beierl - Providence, RI > http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ > '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" > '85 GL "Poor Relation"