Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Jan 2001 12:52:08 -0800
From:         Graham Challis <centumg@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Alternator/Aux Battery
Comments: To: Bill Davidson <wdavidson@thegrid.net>

Well - all points well taken! I shouldn't have said "best", rather "this has worked for me for 10 years with no problem". I don't have a westy so my situation may be slightly different. My Dometic fridge is only a 2-way, must be isolated from the main battery for obvious reasons, so needs the aux. battery to be charged unless I'm at at KOA or something with a 110v hookup. I didn't know about the separators but they sound good too. The isolator has been convenient and reliable for me, and my fridge seems to remain cold as long as I drive every couple of days.

Graham 90 GL auto. country homes camper conversion

--- Bill Davidson <wdavidson@thegrid.net> wrote: > > The best way to keep an aux. battery charged is by > > using a battery isolator. > > Well.... > > 'best' is often dependent on your point of view.... > we've hashed this over may times with some pretty > smart people giving the > input and there has been no consensus yet as to the > 'best' set up.... > > for instance, > some think a manual switch is best... it gives them > ultimate control... > some think using the existing 'fridge relay' is best > because it is easiest, > cheapest, automatic, and doesn't have the voltage > loss (better battery > charge) that the isolator has... > some think the isolator is best because it keeps the > two batteries > separate... > some think the new electronic 'battery separators > are better than the > isolators... > I forget all the fine points... but it seems to me > that if someone really > wants to find the 'best' aux battery connection for > their particular use it > would be worth the effort to read the archives for > the past year.... > > Bill >