Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Jan 2001 03:07:27 -0500
From:         Thomas Bartnicki <kazzpar@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Cold Idle Problem and warm Surging--let me know if I'm confusing

Hi everyone,

I just bought an 85 vanagon and this is what I've done so far:

Replaced :Spark Plugs (platinums gapped .28) Distributor cap Rotor air filter Oil

I cleaned: Throttle body All electrical connections Cleaned the Wiring ground contacts and surfaces AFM with electrical cleaner (not the electronic unit but the aluminuminum section)

I made sure that all connections were sealed and tight. Now, when its cold, it idles really bad (putt putts..aometimes stalls) and will stall if i try to drive. But as soon as it warms up, it runs ok until i put it in park: it starts to surge-slighty-- (smooth) and then cut back--(almost like a misfire) back to idle ---(idle kinda putty) as if the ECU is retarding the timing... almost like a misfire).

Its not racing the engine but slight surging, then a misfire back into idle. Its repetitive.

the surge happens when I go to park. not while I'm driving.

I noticed a small electrical switch (under the Throttle body) that is activated (is stepped closed at no acceleration.. then on when the pedal is engaged ...then stepped off at full throttle) when the accelerator is pushed.

Does this have anything to do with the surging? Like if the step didn't shut the switch off ...with no pedal depressed..just idle?

I'm replacing my brakes this week myself(calipers/rotors/cylinders/master cylinders/ hardware kits/ pads)

?? Does the Bus-Depot usually have there items in stock? I'm planning on driving up (in my Nissan) tomorrow but don't want to waste the trip (60miles) if everything isn't there... i know.. call them

Question #54

What nipple do U bleed first on the front calipers? top or bottom?

Plead # 55

Does anyone know where to get those little black plastic bulb holder thinggies that go into the instrument cluster? I only have illumination in my speedo area. I pulled over tonight bugging out because i thought my temp gauge was buried in the hot zone. It turned out to be the hand of my clock. Duhhhhhh...

Now I'm pissed..its late and i had one more question but i totally forgot it know.. there's always tomorrow!

thanks for any kind of advice in advanced, Tom_kazzpar Wilmington,DE

85 Vanagon 90 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (closest thing to German ingenuity)