Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:21:34 -0500
From:         John Philcox <jphilcox@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Fuel Pump Problem '85 GL

The wisdom of the list is respectfully requested.

Last winter I had a fuel pump problem which showed the following symptoms: 1. Van wouldn't start due to lack of fuel from pump. 2. After a while I figured out that I could turn the key to activate the fuel pump. If I cycled the pump a few times - usually anywhere from 2 to 8 cycles, then I would hear a particular sound - sort of a pop+sigh. As soon as I heard this sound, I could turn the key all the way and the van would start right up. I think the sound was the check valve in the pump. 3. I checked fuel flow from pump. Had zero flow, until I heard the sound. 4. Once started, ran fine.

I replaced the pump with a new Bosch and had no more problems. Now, about six months later I have exactly the same symptoms. I did the flow check per Bentley and get zero flow from the return side of the fuel pressure regulator. There is fuel flowing at the T, but I don't have a fuel pressure gauge. Fuel flows freely through the (new) filter into the pump. All electrical connections seem clean and solid, voltage is good, but I don't have an ammeter. Again, once started, she runs fine. I think the symptoms indicate low output from the pump.

Question: Do I have another bad pump, or is there something else I should check? If I do have another bad pump, could something have caused it that I should fix also?

John Philcox '85 GL Newport, RI