Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Jan 2001 18:30:21 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <busdepot@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      EPODS (Internet/GPS access from your bus)
Comments: cc: Type 2 List <type2@type2.com>

This is only somewhat Vanagon related but I thought I'd make you all aware of it.

Some of you may remember the I-Opener hack mentioned on the Vanagon list some months ago. Some people talked about using it in a Bus/Vanagon as a GPS unit. Well, there is a new alternative now, that appears to be extremely well suited to mobile use for internet, email, mapquest, gps, etc.

The Epods was marketed as an internet-appliance, like the I-Opener. It's a $600 unit, but was sold below cost ($199) with the requirement that you sign on to a year of internet service for about $40/month. The company invested millions, only to run out of money and go under just a couple of months after starting to ship product. So the "required" internet service is no more. However, hackers have figured out how to crack its password so that it can be used with any ISP you want.

This is a really futuristic little toy. It is about 2 lbs and looks kind of like an Etch-A-Sketch. (No, you don't turn it upside down and shake it to restart the computer. :-) The "Etch-A-Sketch screen" is actually an LCD color monitor (like on a laptop). The screen is touch sensitive, so you simply point and drag right on the display screen itself rather than using a mouse. Or you push a button to pop up a "keyboard" right on the touch-sensitive screen. (An external keyboard and mouse can also be used.) So basically, the LCD screen is the entire computer; nothing else to carry. The operating system is Windows CE. The unit has an 8 hour battery, 56k modem, and PCMCIA, serial, and USB ports. You can use it with a wireless modem, or use certain web-enabled cell phones as a modem with the correct adaptor. It has no storage drives, instead storing onto internal memory or onto CompactFlash cards (as used on digital cameras; not included). Basically this is somewhere between a palm pilot and a laptop, but smaller and cheaper than a laptop. Of course, if you're used to a "real computer" you may be disappointed with the speed and capacity of this; it is just a Windows CE device after all, not a Pentium III, so keep your expectations realistic.

My plan is to use it for internet and email access when on long trips in my Westy (via my cell phone), in hotels, etc. It is so small than it can fit anywhere. It would also be nice to be able to pull up mapquest.com on the internet if I got lost while driving (or if a traffic jam required an alternate route). Although I do not plan to use it for GPS, apparantly you can (see the bulletin board posts). I also plan to put a cordless modem adaptor on it so I can use it around the house as a completely wireless internet browser - no phone or power cord! (The unit is literally magazine sized, so you can just sit on the sofa or wherever and browse the internet as if you were reading a magazine.)

These units have been very hard to come by, as they are still selling for the $199 price that assumed a high monthly contract (which is supposedly unenforcable now because the company that required it no longer exists). Therefore they are selling for way below the true market value. Mine is on the way but has not yet arrived. I had thought of waiting until I'd actually played with it to suggest it to the list (rather than suggest it based only on other people's reports, as I am now). But availability is becoming so tight that by then, there could be none to be had. So I thought I'd mention it now for those who want to be daring. Even now you may find them quite difficult if not impossible to obtain. (I _may_ have an extra one depending on whether a family member I ordered it for wants it; not sure yet but email me right away if you can't get one via the below link.)

If you're interested in trying to get one, here are the links:

http://www.absolutebeanies.com/sitehold/www.epodsinc.com/corporate/epodsone/ specs_orig.html for a mirror of the now-defunct product website (specs etc)

http://www.geocities.com/epodsfiles/ for info on how to hack it and where to buy it. (Best bet is probably the Salton outlet.)

http://www.kenseglerdesigns.com/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?Action=Show Board&Board=EpodsOne for discussion board on further hacks, modifications, etc. (The above geocities site also links to this.)

The usual disclaimers apply. Everything I wrote is what I have learned from the above sites, etc. and are not verified by me. YMMV, etc.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW