Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:37:25 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Running rich - hellllp!
Comments: To: Peter Cassidy <pcassidy@APPLE.COM>

At 02:07 PM 1/15/2001, Peter Cassidy wrote: > So, the van is running rich in a very big way. This only seems to >happen when I get up to temperature. When hot, the van won't idle >properly & tends to cut out at idle. The exhaust is loud and 'farty' >- another rich sign & I can't get over 3000 revs while under load. >The engine misfires a bit when cruising - cruising at 40mph, that is! > > Right now, I'm thinking the Temp 2 sensor is gone. Will this cause >this problem, even if the O2 sensor is disconnected? I'm posting this >from work - took me about an hour to get the 20 miles in.

Sure will. The sender itself or any of the connections between it and the ECU. You get an open circuit there, the ECU thinks the motor is dead cold and acts accordingly. If you want to be scientific about it, unplug the ECU and put an ohmmeter on the proper pins before you disturb anything at the sender end. Check ohms against the chart in Bentley (TI and TII charts are the same). When you find it's way high or open circuit, unplug the sender and bridge the connector with a paper clip or such -- if the ohms go right to zero prolly the harness is ok. To be sure, ohm out the sender itself. When you find the location of the high resistance you'll have found the problem.

david ps -- maybe the ECU uses a 6502 and it's decided to play Space Invaders instead of working? I had that problem with my bench techs when they were working on II+ machines...

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"