Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:08:33 -0600
From:         Darrell Boehler <midwesty@MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bad in town Mileage

Hi George, You are probably correct in your short trip low mileage scenario. Our vans run in open loop until the coolant temperature 2 sensor voltage reads 0.3 -0.4 volts. Then it goes into closed loop and the mixture is leaner . Another indication is closed loop happens when the engine temperature gauge is still on the big white area and just ready to start moving from it. Or another indication is under no load condition if you hold your accelerator very steady at 2k-3k rpm when in closed loop your rpm will cycle slightly higher to lower as the ecu constantly hunts for the perfect mixture going from rich to lean. When it is below about 30 degrees F (I started to say very cold but knew many would roll over laughing) the temperature 1 sensor (air temp) further enriches the mixture in open loop. Most vans seem to go into closed loop in about 4 miles at 20 degrees F. After I repair and test ecus as best I can on the bench I put them in my van or double cab and cruise around checking for slight anomalies. I have seen lots of warm up cycles.

Darrell

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Spaeth" <spaeth@GORGE.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2001 11:33 PM Subject: Bad in town Mileage