Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Jan 2001 10:45:36 -0500
From:         Sam Walters <slwalters@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: snowhite, opening email, anti virus, etc.

Volks,

Like Mike and others, I periodically have been getting additional copies of the Snow White email. But there have been times when some have been posting about receiving it when I didn't. Whatever the source of these emails, it seems to be sporadic in sending out the mailings. I guess that they have set up their program to pull all of our individual addresses and then send out their mail with virus attached. Now I have set my filters so that it is automatically deleted before going to my inbox and I would not know if it had come unless I check the filter log.

But we all can set our filters to exclude email that has "haha" or "sexyfun" or both contained in the sender line and delete it automatically. That will protect us. My list of filters that does this to obnoxious and/or unwanted email is growing but this is the easiest thing to do in order to eliminate several headaches.

I got one a few days ago that had an attachment explaining the horrors of some new virus and deleted it immediately as I figured the virus itself was in the attachment. If it comes again, I'll save the name and pass it on. What I should have done, but it was late and I was tired, etc. Sorry. As they used to say on Hill Street, "be careful out there." Rather than "when in doubt, don't open," it should be, "unless you know what it is and who it is from, don't open it."

Of course, that regularly updated antivirus program, running resident, is also essential.

Together, these leave more time for reading Vanagon email and less for deleting and worrying.

Sam Walters