Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Jan 2001 20:06:49 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fuel pump run on..carbureated 2 liter
Comments: To: Tarheel <puzerewski@EMAIL.MSN.COM>

At 06:50 PM 1/21/2001, Tarheel wrote: >I had noticed that the after market fuel pump the PO installed runs on and >on when I turn the key on. It does not build pressure and stop. So, I >bought a CB performance rotary fuel pump, and although quieter, it does the >same thing. The former return line is plugged off at the tank, and I even >took off the gas cap to see if venting was a problem. Still ran on. > >I figure pressure should build up in the fuel line and stop. Nothing is >leaking fuel.

I might be talking through my hat here (but I don't think so). Electric fuel pumps in marine engines tend to be operated by a switch that only runs them when it sees oil pressure. The AFC system in the '81 vgon does this by looking at Hall pulses or some such -- but if it's been converted to carbs there is no AFC system. I suspect that your DPO just hooked the pump up to the ignition switch, not too safe if there's an accident.

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"