Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Jan 2001 17:03:22 -0500
From:         Derek Drew <derekdrew@RCN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Crankshaft Endplay Adjustment Hits Me Flat
Comments: To: Daniel Schmitz <djs@gene.com>

Thanks. I found this helpful.

I will remeasure from the center of the flywheel.

All the manuals I have show it being measured at the outside, and I definitely think the flywheel was flexing, so in the center this should fix the problem and get a better measurement.

At 01:20 PM 1/24/01 -0800, you wrote: >Derek, > >Apologies in advance for any obvious points I might make: > >Are you taking your endplay reading from the center of the flywheel? If >you are measuring this out near the edge, your prying with a screwdriver >is probably flexing the flywheel slightly, causing an erroneous reading. >Endplay should be measured at or near the center of the flywheel. Also, >you might consider not prying on it at all, but instead tapping on the >flywheel center to move the crank in one direction, then tapping on the >pulley end to move it the opposite direction and taking your reading. If >you use a screwdriver to pry on the flywheel, I'm not sure this >replicates the actual end-to-end movement of the crank (but may in fact >amplify it) > >Crankshaft endplay is controlled by one of the main bearings, which is >flanged. When the flywheel is fully torqued, the clearance between this >flange and the crank is your endplay. Generally, unless you have had oil >starvation or excessive end loads on the crankshaft (which is hard to >do), your endplay should not have changed much from new. I wouldn't >worry about it if your engine is running good. > >Dan

_______________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY CEO & Co-Founder http://www.ConsumerSearch.com/ =========================== "Best Expert Review Site" for product reviews on the Internet Jan. 2001, PC World Magazine ========================== 80 South Street, 2nd Floor New York, NY 10038 derekdrew@rcn.com 212-580-6486

Alternate numbers for the industrious phone caller that wants to try every avenue: 917-848-6425 (cell); 202-966-7907 (Work), 212-580-4459 (Home), 202-966-0938 (Home), 978-359-8533 (fax [efax]), 212-269-3188 (Seaport office), 212-269-3188 (Seaport main number).