Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Jan 2001 21:06:37 EST
From:         kenneth d lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant air, overflow, fried head gasket,
              "burping" out air (long)
Comments: To: vw@EMRIVER.COM

Steve; From the clues you have given, the problem may have exsisted before you purchased. Why else did he replace the radiator but to attempt a cure for overheating? Just ask him if this problem exsisted. What do you got to lose?

Drive Safely & Good Luck Ken Lewis <Kernersville,NC> 86 VW crewcab;60 356B Coupe

P.S. Reply in text only please, not HTML --------------------------------------------------

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:58:53 -0600 Steve Gough <vw@EMRIVER.COM> writes: >This is a multi-part message in MIME format. > >------=_NextPart_000_0095_01C08626.EEBFCB80 >Content-Type: text/plain; > charset="iso-8859-1" >Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable > >Great list. Your advice (and patience with my first post) please: > >I'm now the proud owner of an '86 Westy, bought from a guy who'll >remain = >anonymous. He lives 950 miles away and I drove that newly purchased >van = >all the way back to my home in St. Louis fighting coolant overflows >and = >the blinking red light. > >Before I bought it, PO did flush and fill, then later a radiator = >replacement. He worried that not all the air was out yet and advised >I = >stop and "burp" the expansion tank if the blinking light showed low = >coolant. > >The engine ran (still runs) great, plenty of power. But after only a >= >few miles, she spit a lot of coolant out of the fill (license plate) = >tank. (I trailed a nice steam cloud as it hit the muffler). >Following = >PO's advice, I would "burp" the expansion (with pressure cap) tank. = >Lots of "air" would come out. This went on for many, many miles: = >coolant overflow and/or blinking red light, find a place to stop, >"burp" = >tank, sometimes add coolant. The intermittently overflowing fill tank >= >would leave a nice mist of coolant on the back window at interstate = >speeds. > >Maybe you are laughing now. At about mile 600, I realized that = >"burping" the expansion tank of a hot engine was just flashing a lot >of = >the coolant to steam (as it went from 14psi or whatever to zero) and >the = >"bad air" I was letting out was steam and that I was probably forming >= >steam voids elsewhere in the system as well. Very stupid of me. If = >anything, stopping every 15 miles to make the problem worse. Perhaps >I = >define "knowing enough to be dangerous." > >Engine runs great still, but now I get intermittent white smoke from >the = >tailpipe and water dripping from it. Even after I stoped my dumb "hot >= >burping," still got a lot of air coming out of the expansion tank = >(replaced the pressure cap about halfway through the trip, hoping that >= >was the problem). Evidenced by a train of little bubbles entering the >= >fill tank when the engine was hot. > >I am fearing that my hot-engine-burping, or maybe the flush and fill >or = >radiator replacement led to overheating and a bad head gasket. I = >believe the PO's statement that the recently redone heads were fine = >before. I checked the temp gage every 10 seconds, I swear, and it >never = >got over 3/4 scale (stopping, slowing) and usually (on the highway) >sat = >right over the little light. > >Something I learned that may help you: The low coolant light is a = >"latch" circuit: It stays on until the ignition is cycled off no >matter = >what--I could often just pull over, turn off the ignition, restart, >and = >no blinking light. I attributed these transients to steam slowly = >venting out of the expansion tank (that little valve is very small). > >Please advise: Have I fried a head gasket? How can I tell if = >combustion gases are getting into the coolant and forcing it out? I = >checked the archives: Nobody has warned of "hot burping." Is it so = >obvious (or am I that dumb)? Can these engines really run so well >when = >blowing/sucking coolant into/out of the cylinders?! > >BTW, I'm not looking to blame the PO or anybody but myself. Just = >looking for advice on cause/diagnosis, and perhaps to warn others. >Feel = >free to highlight, make fun of, or discuss in detail my ignorance. > >Thanks, > >Steve Gough > >'86 Westy >gone but not forgotten: '69, '72 Beetles > >------=_NextPart_000_0095_01C08626.EEBFCB80

________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.