Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:14:48 -0500
From:         "Anthony L. Mourkas" <frankenstein@TELPLUS.NET>
Subject:      Re: speaker wires

>I've got to run some new speaker wires to my rear speakers and I'm wondering >if anyone has ever done this before.

Tim,

I have included a prior post to the Vanagon List below that details what I did to run wires in my 84 Westy. Don't recall what particular van you have but hope this helps.

>If so, would you recommend I do it myself.

Sure, as long as you are reasonably handy with hand tools and electrical connections.

Best wishes,

Tony

Anthony L. Mourkas Hampden, Maine, USA 1984 Vanagon Westfalia "Gertrude" 1986.5 Quantum Syncro Wagon <--------- Name this car! 1991 Jetta Eco Diesel "Liesel"

>I have a four speaker stereo and there are four stock speakers >in the van. My problem is that there are only three wires >running to the rear speakers and I have four wires comming >out of my stereo.

I just went through this dilemma on my 84 Westy. The Blaupunkt Las Vegas radio/CD player my wife got me as a gift :-) also requires a separate ground and hot lead to each speaker and the stock wiring in the Westy uses a shared ground to the two rear speakers. The installation instructions specifically caution against conecting speaker ground leads together. I called the tech people at Crutchfield (where Anne bought the unit) and they confirmed that sharing speaker grounds with this unit was not recommended and would lead to the distorted sound that you mentioned or even damage to the amplifiers. They mentioned that a "floating ground adaptor" could be purchased for $50 that would allow the use of the factory wiring but the tech person that I spoke with also said that the best solution was to run a fourth wire to the rear speakers so that each speaker would have a dedicated ground. I too was hoping for an easy solution but deep down knew that pulling wires would be best.

So last Sunday I assembled a collection of tools and supplies and started disassembling the interior of my Westy so I could wire things up. This involved a major leap of faith as it involved removing the fragile headliner over the front two seats, the trim panel that contains the air ducts above the sliding door, the metal moulding supprting the front edge of the upper bunk, the overhead rear AC facia, glovebox, and front heater cover. I had van parts all over the garage! Then the fourth wire was installed along the path of the factory wiring from rear AC cabinet, along the overhead side fresh air ducts, over the front right door, and down the windshield pillar ending up under the right front dash, and then over to the radio. Phew! The hardest part was getting the wire from over the passenger door down the windshield pillar to where it exits under the dash. I first used a piece of solid copper insulated wire (that you would use to wire a home with) and pushed, shoved, and wiggled from a small opening in the wire path above the passenger door until Anne, with her smaller hands and fingers, could just reach around under the dash and into the small opening under the windshield pillar and pull it out. Then I attached the speaker wire to the the solid copper piece and pulled it through successfully. Phew!

I then had a much easier time of running the wire along the remainder of the path to the rear speakers in the AC cabinet. I cut the ground lead to the left rear speaker and spliced the short section remaining attached to the speaker to the new wire. The factory wires now supply the ground to the right rear speaker and the hot leads to both, while the new wire is now the ground for the left rear. I cleaned things up with wire ties and after verifying proper operation of the radio by temporarily connecting it to the revised wiring harness, I buttoned all the panels back up.

A big job to be sure but worth it as the radio works great and there is no Mikey Mouse wiring to cheese up the look of the interior.

Now I guess the next project is installing some better speakers...........

Hope this is of some help.