Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:09:27 -0600
From:         "Frederick M. Wasserstein" <vwvan@CORNHUSKER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Sammy
Comments: To: Mark Ingalls <ingalls_mark@hotmail.com>

Heres the scoop, yes I am really surprised it fired up so easily. It has set for 5 years the PO was actually great, he changed the oil and pulled a hose off the diesel tank so it was drained (fun finding out when I put diesel in and it ran out). Get this, there was still propane in the tank so I could actually fire the refrigerator and gas grill. All I did was pressurize the diesel tank with a Pool blower ( I am in the pool and spa BIZ) and loosen the fuel lines to the injectors and bleed the air.(don't do this with a gas motor, I like diesels) I had previously replaced the battery and alternator (PO said it was bad and it was, bearings were out). Yesterday I replaced the radiator that had holes in it ( I had them fixed). I bleed the system as per the manual ( boy it took a long time, is this normal? I watched the temp gauge carefully and it never overheated, it just took a long time to get to the point that antifreeze came out the bleeder on the radiator) By the way ran it for about a hour up to full operating temp., heat from heat vents and NO LEAKS. I changed oil and oil filter, air filter and ran her again NO Leaks! So, now I have to make a list of odds and ends to do now that she is road worthy again. (like repair the burner, one works the other does not, fix the radio and other such items. (It never ends when you have a Vanagon Westy, but I so love them.:-) Finally, it was a local find but before I owned it, had never driven in Nebraska, it was trailered from CA. and then parked on this guys farm and he never got around to fixing it up! His loss my gain! But any way we are looking forward to using Sammy this summer. Until them I will go out to the driveway and start her up and just sit and dream about warm weather. (as I work on the little small items to get working). I am still looking for a parts vanagon so if ya see one nearby let me know!!!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Ingalls" <ingalls_mark@hotmail.com> To: "Frederick M. Wasserstein" <vwvan@cornhusker.net> Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2001 10:29 PM Subject: Re: Sammy