Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:36:59 -0800
From:         Jere & Beth Hawn <jbrschawn@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Help with coolant system
Comments: To: Oxroad@AOL.COM

Quick comment on the fan *not sure it is for your 83* however, the fan is a two speed fan depending on the temp. I found this out after 8 years of ownership when I asked why have I never heard the fan. I had it replaced and now it work like it should. Jeff sounds like you may have a similar issue with your low speed temp setting.

Jere 90 GL 88 GL

In a message dated 1/25/2001 11:44:14 AM Pacific Standard Time, danrich@CCMAUI.NET writes:

> I've own my 87 GL since new and it now has 211,000 miles on it, new engine > now, never replace the radiator and I was wondering if its time to do so > because of the slow traffic/hi altitude over heating. The expansion tank > when it over heats empties into the overflow tank and exposes the sensor and > the red like begins to blink.

Dan--

I can't exactly address your questions, but I can share my similair experience. My 1983 watercooled bus was running hot at altitudes and climbs up from Denver to Vail. I needed to run the heaters to keep it cool but the guage was still up pretty high--like 3/4 or more. In city traffic at lower elevations and even sea level as soon as I stopped for a light the coolant gauge needle would start to rise to about 3/4. Sometime in stop and go situation I needed to turn on the heat to cool the engine a bit. In highway driving the needle would sit just above the LED light on the guage.

Finally on one climb from Vail to Denver my bus overheated.

I replaced the radiator and the thermostat. I feared the previous owner may have put in a "cooler" thermostat to offset the poorly cooling radiator--and indeed he had. So with the new radiator and the regular spec thermostat this is what I've got: Cool. For the first time in my life I'm cool.

The needle on the coolant guage sits in the low side of the "safe" operating area well below the LED. When in traffic the needle rises to about the LED mid point the fan kicks in and cools the coolant temp right down. It's quite a difference and real improvement as there's none of the previous monkeying with the heaters and the anxiety.

I got my Radiator from the VW dealer. Dealer price is about $405 I think. The dealer sold me a genuine VW radiator from VW of South Africa--apparently german units are either completely unavailable or scarce from the dealer. The SA radiator is aluminum and of good quality. My original radiator was copper. I understand list vendors have the same genuine VW radiator from South Africa for about $200 so that's something to think about.

I had also just replaced my hoses which depending on when you replaced them last may be in order. The list vendors also have much better prices on the hoses than the dealer--although they are pricey items no matter how you slice them--and I don't recommend slicing them.

Oh, and I just remembered with my old radiator the raditor fan started up way late in the game--meaning after the guage was pretty high-- as it is mounted in the bottom half of the radiator and with the radiator being sluggish I don't think the hot coolant got down there--therefore the fan switch, engaged by the higher temp of the coolant, turned on the fan pretty late increasing the poor cooling condition. Although with a clogged radiator I don't think all the fans in the world will help cooling much.

Any more info I can help with let me know. I hope this helps Good luck Jeff 83.5 Westy LA, CA