Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Jan 2001 16:39:54 -0500
From:         The Southards <southard@GIS.NET>
Subject:      FW: 1.6L NA d- finding TDC & injection pump q
Comments: cc: "flubach@HOME.COM" <flubach@HOME.COM>,
          "diesel@audifans.com" <diesel@audifans.com>

Bradley:

I think your best bet is to attach the bell housing from the diesel Vanagon before removing the timing belt. There is a pointer inside the little "timing inspection" hole just to the right of the starter. Aligh this pointer with the notch mark on the flywheel. This is TDC for either cylinder 1 or 3. You must look at the valves to determine which cylinder is at TDC (both cam lobes should be "up".)

As for the injection pump levers, I don't know. I have never messed with mine. I will forward your post to the diesel list at diesel@audifans.com. Maybe Martin Jagersand or Paul Cianciolo are listening in. I think they have dealt with the lever before. I'm interested to know also, as I will be transplanting the Jetta TD engine into Reinhardt in the future and would like to move the Jetta pump along with the engine. Any tips out there?

Maynard OvO '79 '82 Westy Diesel "Reinhardt" '93 EV GL "Klinger" '00 Golf GLS TDI "WooHoo" '84 Jetta GL TD

-----Original Message----- From: Bradley Flubacher <flubach@HOME.COM> Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2001 1:50 PM To: Recipients of vanagon digests Subject: 1.6L NA d- finding TDC & injection pump q Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 13:47:10 -0500 From: Bradley Flubacher <flubach@HOME.COM> Subject: 1.6L NA d- finding TDC & injection pump q

I have a "new" engine (1.6L) to go into my '82 diesel westy. It is from a quantum and it ran great. Right now it is in my garage on wooden cribbing. It has the flywheel on it, but nothing past that (-no clutch assembly or bellhousing).

I am familiar with setting the engine to TDC when it's in the vehicle. That's easy enough, but I'm wondering if there is a way to set this engine's crank shaft to TDC (for installation of a new drive belt) without taking off the head and looking at the pistons.

Is there a marking on the end of the crankshaft that I will see if I take off the flywheel? Right now, I see no discernable markings anywhere. I haven't taken off the old drive belt yet. I'm faced with removing the flywheel to properly mount this engine in my stand- something I've never done before.. Alas, I still have some work to do to it before it can go into the van. A new drive belt, oil pickup, windage tray and oil pan..

I don't want to remove the head if I don't have to. I'd prefer leaving that undisturbed.. Unless it is recommended to me by this fine mailing list to do otherwise.

Bentley says to use new bolts and locking compound on the flywheel. I intend to do this- I hope it's not tough to find those bolts.

Onto my injection pump "question"- The pump in my van has a decent angle on the throttle lever, whereas the throttle lever on the replacement engine is pretty much flat (of course). I removed the throttle lever assemblies from both pumps in an attempt to swap them. I found that the one from the old engine wouldn't fit onto the new engine. The flange at the base of the throttle stem was wider on the new engine so the throttle lever assembly wouldn't fit down onto it. The only solution I've thought up, is to use the old injection pump on the new engine. This isn't something I really want to do though. I'd prefer using the original injection system that came on that engine- ideally in an undisturbed state..

Any other ideas? I bought a decent gear puller with anticipation of needing to swap pumps.

Meanwhile, I replaced the throttle lever assemblies onto their original pumps. This was no fun. Another question- when I put these assemblies back on, I turned the throttle stem clockwise until it would nealry turn no more. I then unscrewed the idle position screw almost all the way, and installed the lever flush with this screw. So the stem is nealry all the clockwise while the idle screw is almost out. I did this with the intention that I would just reset the proper idle position once I had everything together again. Does this all sound like the correct thing to have done? In retrospect, I would've never taken it apart. If I had only known the needed throttle lever assembly wasn't going to fit on the "new" injection pump. Oh well.

Anyone in the area who wants to take a look at what I fine mess I have here is more than welcome. Feel free to private-email me with any responses in addition to mail to the list.

Thanks in advance, Bradley Flubacher State College, PA