Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:52:47 -0800
From:         Brian Cochran <rangerbrian@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      oil pres woes....solved?!?!  part 1

Hello again everyone. I wrote in last week. I was freaking out about the oil pressure light Re: no light at cold idle, then flickering at stops and sometimes along the road........ then almost all the time......sound familar?? I was convinced it was the bearings or at least something major. I spent most of my free time this past week seaching to buy another vehicle. Thursday I had to drive the 35 miles or so to seattle to meet a friend. The damn van seemed to really treat me royally this week by having a few more things pile up to add to the very long fix-it list. (such as I actually saw a few drops of anti-freeze under it once this week---first and last experience thus far...) SO as I'm driving, the light is flashing away as I'm going 65-75 down I90. I've been so stressed out I reached a breaking point and just thought---HOPED---- a rod would explode through the engine block. I change lanes to the left and during the change, no light. Hmmm, must just be the oil sloshing around, I thought. The engine temp was fine--below the light in fact, and the engine sounded smooth. I got off on the madison exit, came to a stop and ..... no light!! Not even a flicker. I started thinking electrical. C'mon, it had (has) to be. Through experimentation, I found right turn (at a mod. force)= light, left turns = no light!! Straight light status seemed to depend on how easy I came out of a left turn!!

Yesterday the oil pres gauge arrived from the depot (I'm 95 bucks poorer for it.) I removed the engine tin to access the .3 bar sender and yanked the wire (only 8 months old). Well, of course, there was a small slice "worn"(?) into it by the engine shroud I'm guessing. The grease coating the wire, I believe, is WHY the light didn't appear until the engine warmed up!

I have an 84 westy. I'm not finished with the install process yet (hence the part 1). But I successfully mounted the gauge in the dash, just below the warning lights. 86 and up folks have a clock there, I think? But it looks and fits great. I cut the hole a little small because the gauge's retainer ring won't fit, so the friction holds the gauge securely in place. A file was very much needed to do this after cutting a 1" hole, keenly measured for neatness.

I mounted the sender, but more to come on that and the wiring.....