Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Jan 2001 22:05:50 -0500
From:         Chris Smith <chris.smith@AQUILA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Anybody have a GOOD GEX engine?
Comments: To: Michael Edwards <mpedwards@LYCOS.COM>

--snip--

>plaints but not enough to warrant disapproval. I have enough manufacturing and retail experience to know that you have to judge both sides of the equation before judging a complaint >Does anyone have a GOOD gex engine in their bus? Since I am stuck with this thing, which may very well be a 2000$ peice of shit, I would like to know if anyone has had a good experience with their GEX engine? Bad experience?? >ANy advice on potential failures/problems. I bought hte 36K extended warranty but I am not really excited about replacing this thing once a year. Any advice/comment would be appreciated.

--snip--

Keep good milage records. the ods are that you WILL need to replace it before the warrenty runs out. Be carefull though, they put a little button on the case that has a drop of lead in the center. If the lead is melted your warrenty is expaired due to overheating. My 1776 had the lead melted when the case was spilt by a flying conneting rod and an oil fire broke out.

If you call for service and they give you the blow-off, get on the vintage VW list and slam them. Be honest and after a few laywers offer to take your case the owner will call you asking "How can we straighten this out?". (Experience speaking here)

Treat your engine with extra care and hope that they remembered all the bearings when they built yours.

Chris Smith 3 GEX (Garbagus EXtremus) motors, all ruined, all less than 25k miles, all WELL cared for.