Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Jan 2001 22:38:23 -0800
From:         George Lyle <glyle@LENTI.TYPE2.COM>
Subject:      Re: [T2] A CV Question, if you please..
Comments: To: Tom Young <tomyoung1@home.com>
Comments: cc: type2@type2.com

On Sat, 27 Jan 2001, Tom Young wrote:

> Hi all: > > As I recall, at some point VW began recommending that the wavy spring > washer that comes with CV joints *not* be installed. Anybody know > why? > > The reason I ask is that I removed my old transmission today and both > CV joints had transmission oil in them; one had *lots* of oil, the > other just a little. When I installed the trans a few years ago (a > used one from a junkyard) I installed new oil seals at the drive > flanges and installed new CV joints. I had the CV joints pressed on > by a shop (they actually sent it out to someone else to have it done) > and when I picked then up the spring washers were installed! I > objected, but the guy who owns the shop called the machinist who > installed them and he assured me that they would be just fine. I > wasn't really in a position to argue about it one way or the other, so > I just took the axle shafts and installed them. > > Anyway, I was wondering if the inclusion of the spring washers in any > way contributed to the "oil in the CV joints" problem. So, why did VW > make the change with regard to these things?

Relax your mind! The spring washers didn't pop your seals!

My theory about why VW deleted the spring washers is that the washers put a rather significant load on the snap rings that hold the axle in place in the CV. If the snap ring groove got a bit worn, the snap ring would work itself out in operation.

Also, it's a heck of a lot easier to get the snap ring into place without the bellville washer installed!

It's curious that they didn't make the came change with bug CVs...

George Lyle