Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Jan 2001 10:47:41 -0800
From:         pensioner <al_knoll@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Battle Stations....Prepare to repel "boarders"

"Boarders" indeed.

David...

You HAD to ask.

The bleedin canucks of course. They got nothing to do. On a moto trip up to Vancouver and across to Moose Jaw and down I was searched and the BMW R100RS was virtually disassembled looking for ??. Sez them, we check every so often as a matter of course... you're it. My friends, also on BMWs just pottled around for the two hours it took to ensure I wasn't smuggling any nuclear devices, IR sensing antiaircraft hand helds, 27" televisions, TDI Motors, or contraband toilets in my R100RS. Now dave, how much can one hide on a moto? Secret stashes? the leetle compartment under the seat? In the headlight shell? in the taillight?, under the battery? in the gas tank? in the aircleaner? They checked em all. Found nothing but contraband motorcycle parts like headlights, taillights, battery boxes, gasoline. Seemed to amuse the ninnies. These folks are REALLY on the dole. No wonder the jobless rate is so high in BC.

And they presume someone would escape TO the great white mosquito and blackfly-ridden north so they make sure you have sufficient assets to cover your asset (in my case a Corbin ass-set on the moto) so you won't hawg in on their part of the dole...

grumble grumble.

THEN we had four fine days motoring around in the fine Canadian Rain. Truly joyful on a moto. I blame the customs critters for the weather too...kinda sour grapes for not finding a contraband toilet or something.. Thank heavens for Roger at MotoSpeziale in Alberta for showing the true Canadian Color and working on a Sunday to fix a new-fangled electronical ignition system on one of the motos that had taken leave of its Ebers and Moll constraints and left "Peach" with a dead horse.

In contrast, coming back from Mexico in a vanagon packed with campy and camping gear including tons of schlocky souvenir pots and dewdads, US dude says to the scruffly desert dirty driver (me) "can I see your drivers license" yeppo. "anything to declare?" ..."I have an open liter of fine Herradura Anejo and two other liters of liquor and some souvenirs (limit is one). "thanks, have a good trip"...I coulda been smuggling my R100RS AND all the swill the canucks seemed to be concerned about and I coulda stolen the drivers license AND the syncro..."thanks, have a good trip" gotta love 'em. Didn't see the Federales checking out the line goin the other way to see if there was any illegal immigrants heading south to work as braceros in Mexico but that's another story.

pensioner

(ruffled grouch)