Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Jan 2001 11:35:04 -0500
From:         Derek Drew <derekdrew@RCN.COM>
Subject:      MPH at RPM And Michelin MXTs
Comments: To: Syncro@onelist.com

I stand corrected on the Michelin MXT s. I was extrapolating from my experience with the MXLs which to me and others were wallowers and had decidedly unimpressive traction ability. I should not have maligned this tire without having actually tried it, which I haven't.

Possibly even the predecessor MXLs are good for some users too--possibly they work better in a 2WD van and lighter versions that are not campers and vehicles that don't really go off-road.

The MXLs are definitely wallowers, however, and you can see a multitude of posts in the archives of people appreciating the surefootedness and precision of light truck tires over these OEM tires after making a switch.

I do find it a little horrifying that these MXLs at their rated 836 revolutions per mile travel, at 4th gear at 4,000rpm, at only 69.49mph!

Thus, you can hardly break 70mph in these on the highway whereas with today's speed limits it would be more customary to want the flexibility to go, say, 76 or 77mph in 4th ideally, or in my view, at least the 74.32mph provided by the BFG 27 x 8.50/14 All Terrain Radials.

As for driving about 4,000 rpm with a stock motor, I have found that the oil temp starts to climb up rapidly after you pass about 3900rpm or just before, so I don't cruise above that rpm. Somebody please tell me it is OK to cruise at 4200rpm, oil temp no matter, and maybe I will start doing it.

This email corrects and expands upon points made in the original post http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0101E&L=vanagon&P=R9406.

I haven't tried the MXTs, and based on feedback on the list they seem to be a good choice.

07:52 AM 1/31/01 -0800, you wrote: > > A comment on the MXTs. I have a set now. They take 50 > > PSI. I have taken them on some very nasty roads, > > hundreds of miles. My guess is I have 1000 or more > > miles of rough rocky road on them, and 30,000 total > > miles. they have handled great, have decent tracrtion > > for having conservative tread pattern, and have no > > apparent signs of wear. They are a good tire and are > > rated for the weight of the syncro. > >I agree... I am amazed at where they will go and have found they actually >have surprisingly good traction on snow and ice though they are not rated >M&S... > >Bill

________________________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY & Washington, DC derekdrew@rcn.com Email me for Viscous Couplings Now syndicating 16" Trailing Arms, Fender Flares, Final Drive Ring & Pinions '90 Syncro Westfalia... ...seen off-road at http://www.tiu.net/~des/vw/drew/index.html

Also seen at: http://4wd.sofcom.com/VW/snow.html http://4wd.sofcom.com/VW/Campers/Campers.html http://www.vanagon.com/syncros/trips/ranger-rover/index.html http://www.vanagon.com/syncros/trips/peters-mill/index.html Note: most valuable Vanagon sites on the planet (for owners) are: http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?S1=vanagon ftp://gerry.vanagon.com/pub/ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Syncro To sign up for the Vanagon mailing list send email to listserv@gerry.vanagon.com with the body text SUBSCRIBE VANAGON Firstname Lastname To sign up for the Syncro mailing list go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Syncro My refrigerator article: ftp://gerry.vanagon.com/pub/technical/Refrigerator-Manual.txt My article that shows how to deal with insurance companies: ftp://gerry.vanagon.com/pub/auto-insurance-madness.html