Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Jan 2001 12:45:49 EST
From:         Steven Denis <NotaJeep@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] What I Found About Tire Height Calculations
Comments: To: brent@vanagon.com

The correct way to look at it is the effective diameter of the tire. What does this mean? It's the distance from the center of the hub to the ground of the loaded (van on its wheels) tire. Tires DO grow..but not enough at even 1000 wheel rpm that you would notice..If we were talking Formula 1? yeah I might worry a bit about gaining that 1/2 inch at 200 mph.. The "wrinkle wall" slicks that are used on the top fuel dragsters get REAL big when spun up to a few K RPM.. but they are not DOT rated steel belted radials....

So..pop off your rear wheel cover and measure from there to the ground..take that measurement and do the diameter of a circle bit ( You know, the Pi*D thing) that's your effective rolling curcumfrence. Let's say (because I'm TOTALLY lazy), that this comes out to,oh, 5.280 feet... One thousand turns of the tire = one mile.. Say you have a 4.00/1 combined ratio in the tranny (great how my numbers work, eh?) and so the engine turns 4000 rev/mile or 4000 rpm at 60 mph.... It's no big deal to do this..Most tire manufactures supply charts that list rev/mile for a fully inflated tire at maximum load..this number is REALLY close to what you're going to see on the van..Really, +/- 2 mph in the real world ain't gunna make or break ya

steve...

"Hey! nice Jeep, Mister!" "Look kid, it's NOTAJEEP"