Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:52:47 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] What I Found About Tire Height Calculations
Comments: To: Brent Christensen <brent@VANAGON.COM>

Quite some time ago, I recall seeing a catalog from ( I believe) Michelin, which gave number of revolutions per mile at different speeds. I don't recall any actual numbers, but it was interesting to see that different tires expanded at speed by quite different percentages.

Karl Wolz ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brent Christensen" <brent@VANAGON.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 9:31 AM Subject: Re: [Syncro] What I Found About Tire Height Calculations

I have been sitting on the sidelines on this one, but I suddenly felt compelled to add my 2 cents' worth...

One of the things I have not heard anyone discuss is the difference in diameter of a tire while standing vs. while traveling at 70 mph. Surely there must be a difference. Also, if you think about the physics of it, a tire is not actually *round* while it it turning on a vehicle, is it? It has a flat spot where it contacts the road. This distortion could certainly introduce errors into a formula based upon the "static" diameter of a tire (i.e. measured while mounted on the car, or simply mounted on a wheel laying on the ground)

Kinda make you go "Hmmmmmm....?"

Brent Christensen 89 GL Syncro Westy Santa Barbara, CA

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy "Klaus" Santa Barbara, CA www.vanagon.com