Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:22:51 -0500
From:         Derek Drew <derekdrew@RCN.COM>
Subject:      Need Help For Forthcoming Article
Comments: To: Syncro@onelist.com

As part of the article I am writing on tires/gearing/wheels, etc., I found that I was making assumptions about the height of the wheels we use that appear to me subsequently to be in error.

That is, I assumed the stock Michelins were 25.3" tall and that the BFG 27 x 8.50 All Terrain Radials were 26.3" tall.

On remeasuring these tires, I now feel they are 25" and 26.15", respectively, going by the tires I have around here.

Could those of you who run these tires who have a moment measure them yourselves and let me know what you think is a reasonable assumption about diameter?

The proper determination of their actual diameter is critical to assumptions that flow through many calculations, and therefore I would rather find out before the fact rather than after that there is an error in my assumptions on this.

I am thinking that I will use measured tire height as the basis for diameter assumptions because, even though actual measured rolling circumfrence results might be more accurate, these are more difficult to extrapolate to new tires under consideration due to the difficulty in conducting rolling resistance testing of the possible new tires. In other words, by sticking with actual measured tire height for input data one can more easily extrapolate data that is useful for selecting tires, which is the diameter that the tire measures.

For the purposes of the measurements, I judged that the best method was to measure the tire at the edge, and discount about half of the bulge in the middle of the tread, if there is any bulge, as being something that will be squished flat when the wheel has weight bearing on it.

In other words, the diameter data that I collected was for tires which did not have weight on them.

Again, this makes it more easy for us to walk into a tire warehouse and measure the diameters of various tires off the vehicle, knowing that the measuring methodology matched the input assumptions.

If nobody sends me back any opinions to the contrary, then I am going to use 25" and 26.15" as the baselines for the calculations.

_______________________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY CEO & Co-Founder http://www.ConsumerSearch.com/ =========================== "Best Expert Review Site" for product reviews on the Internet Jan. 2001, PC World Magazine ========================== 80 South Street, 2nd Floor New York, NY 10038 derekdrew@rcn.com 212-580-6486

Alternate numbers for the industrious phone caller that wants to try every avenue: 917-848-6425 (cell); 202-966-7907 (Work), 212-580-4459 (Home), 202-966-0938 (Home), 978-359-8533 (fax [efax]), 212-269-3188 (Seaport office), 212-269-3188 (Seaport main number).