Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:44:40 -0800
From:         Brian Cochran <rangerbrian@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      oil pres woes... gauge install  part 2

Part 2...... I think I left off with having mounted the oil pressure sender and the gauge in the dash. Here’s how I hooked it all up, results, and some questions..

I drove about 30 miles with the newly mounted sender. Had to. Upon getting back I noted the sender side hose fittings leaked some oil. I tightened it up more. Hopefully that’s all. The engine tin wasn’t revealing any tell-tale signs of the hose leaking out of the engine block. It’s a real time-taker to yank that off again. Plus I’ll have to go out and buy a set of offset wrenches, since I’m out of options to tighten the hose up. I did use pipe tape as per other articles on vanagon.com, but I’m curious as to how the heat affects it. I replaced my makeshift wiring to hold the hose away from the exhaust with some exhaust strapping. Looks more neat now,but I still want to insulate the hose with asbestos or asbestos-like material. Any ideas on this?? Maybe the hose can hold up fine. I’ll see before too long I guess. I also went out and bought a rubber grommet for the hole I drilled in the tin. Nicer than electrical tape.

The wiring went simple enough. I don’t like to craw around under the van, so I thought ahead and ran two wires instead of one, since I could always use the other for something, someday. Out the speedo grommet, down along the radiator(not too close now), over the OXS box (drop the spare), along the wiring, yanked with a clothes hanger across the top of the too-small of a gas tank, back along the other wiring, through some holes here and there. up into the engine compartment. Straightforward. Don’t forget wire ties and eye goggles.

The front seat scene involved a multimeter. I thought the Haynes manual would work, and it did help, but I used the meter to make sure lest I pop many a fuse. The only trick really was finding the hot wire from the dash dimmer. I did want the gauge to dim like all the others. Confirming with the meter, the wire I wanted was the gray/blue wire in the #3 hole in the 14-pin dash connector. (1984 and who really know for sure with other vans-- use a voltmeter). I wanted to tap an 8A circuit for the gauge’s power, but the cold was biting and I just tapped into my rear heater fan due to ease. I’m sure there were much better choices, but.....

When I cranked the beast up, the gauge rose to 60psi or so. This matches other van owner’s readings. I guess when the van warms up I will find out the real story with my oil pressure!! Yeah. Considering the stress I endured during the oil light fiasco of the past couple weeks, I would encourage everyone to get the gauge. A single LED doesn't’ say much. This all started because of that #@$!* LED.

Questions for the super knowledgeable: I was concerned mostly with the air trapped in the sender and hose. I went through some effort to “fill” all with oil before mounting, and I’m glad the sender fittings leaked some in the start. Maybe some air was bled out. Would air bubbles remain? Does this affect anything?? I also thought about the raising (or lowering ) of the sender unit with respect to the original position. Would mounting the sender higher reduce the pressure reading? I’m sure it does..... the real question: Is there a significant pressure reading change?? (Siphoning effect.....you know... example: when you cut your hand, elevation above the heart eases bleeding/swelling) That’s enough eh? If any probs/ insights/ fires occur, I guess I’ll write a part 3. ciao for now.. Brian Cochran, 84 westy, Carnation, WA _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com