Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:55:06 EST
From:         Steven Denis <NotaJeep@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] What I Found About Tire Height Calculations

In a message dated 1/31/01 3:03:38 PM Eastern Standard Time, drillock@EARTHLINK.NET writes:

<< At least at low speeds there is no meaningful difference. I just did the "mustard" test on both left side wheels, and then let most of the air out of one tire and did the mustard test again. The facts speak for themselves. >>

As a long time bus and van owner and a transmission rebuilder I have to comment

WHO CARES?..I mean really, there are only a few combinations of tire sizes, ring and pinion and gear ratios available..It's a big box with a little engine.. SO..for most application the STOCK tire size and gear ratios are FINE. Granted, if you do nothing but interstate cruising in the mid west and are empty all the time, slowing the engine relative to the road speed might pick up one or two MPG (until you hit a head wind) Conversely, hauling depleted uranium up a goat trail to Machu Pichu is going to require a bit lower ratio than you might have gotten stock... You also might want to do a cost comparison.It seems that you (on paper) are will to spend LARGE amounts of $$ to pick up (or not!) some SMALL advantage. I converted a few 1972-74 bus gear boxes to work with Vanagon diesels..ones that were NEVER going to be required to start on a hill at maximum gross weight...and it's about right for most people (53 vs. 42 in 3rd gear) Sooooo Don't loose much sleep over tire sizes. I'd be more worried about clearance, and offset and load rating than diameter..I run the reinforced continentals or Michelins..they just seem "right". I will not go into brake efficiency or biasing when you start switching tires. 185-14's or the 205 14's were picked by people who knew what they were about..yes, they are compromises.. Drive on soft ground a lot? go to the 205's (215's?) You will find the different brands of tires are different diameters As far as the growth...I've got 71 lb/ft of torque, 4000+lbs of dead weight and a CD up around .46....SOMEHOW I can't see where worrying about the "overdrive" effect of the tires growing with speed will cause me to have custom gears made to "correct" my 0.77 5th..... It's nice to know, but don't lay awake staring at the ceiling over it

steve...

"Hey! nice Jeep, Mister!" "Look kid, it's NOTAJEEP"