Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Feb 2001 12:23:27 +1100
From:         Ray Hunnam <hunnam@PNC.COM.AU>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Subaru Motors Wreck Trannies?--Commentary
Comments: To: EMZ <vw4x4@FYI.NET>

Eric and Dereck

I have swapped my 2.1 WB for the Subaru 2.7 flat 6 motor into my 91 x 5 speed Vanagon. So far I have had no trouble with the trannies ( touch wood )

Just who are all these installers in Australia saying that they are blowing trannys by putting subaru motors into their vans. I for one have never said that.

I did respond some time ago to another member on the list who muttered similar warnings. My answer was if the driver dropped his clutch and did wheel stands everytime he started to move then of course he will " kangaroo edward " his transmission. Us more sedate ( older ) drivers tend to be a bit more careful when driving off.

Hey come to think of it I know a few drivers who can stuff up their trannies by just using the original 2.1 WV motor.

Apart from Andrew and myself I also am not aware of any other member of the list here in Oz or " Old Zealand " who have replaced their 2.1's with Subi. motors. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Ray Hunnam

----- Original Message ----- From: "EMZ" <vw4x4@FYI.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, 2 February 2001 8:59 AM Subject: Re: [Syncro] Subaru Motors Wreck Trannies?--Commentary

This is the reason I went with a 1.8L VW engine. About the same HP. I've seen trans. wrecked with V6 swaps also. If you are going to go up in HP very much, better think about a special rebuild trans. also. The other option I was thinking about was implanting an entire front wheel drive, motor and tranmmision, matted at the half shafts, but this would be even more re-enngineering.

Eric 86-VW4x4 vw4x4@fyi.net 86-SS Syncro Pittsburgh, PA USA 1936-Chrysler 92-Jetta GWC www.fyi.net/~vw4x4/vw4x4.htm