Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Feb 2001 21:01:34 EST
From:         Steven Denis <NotaJeep@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW Water Pump specifications

Ray, nothing against you or your "capacity search", but I gotta say, this list has got the STRANGEST questions! I'm an ASE Master tech and Master Engine machinist who makes his living as a flight test engineer..and I gotta tell ya. I've NEVER needed to know this kinda stuff! One thing that you must remember is that MOST systems on automobiles are designed for conditions you will NEVER subject them to. Transmissions? Nota peep out of a 091/1 with a 185 hp Rover V8 against it..but the driver ALWAYS made sure the clutch was engaged before climbing on the throttle..no "burn outs". No problem with a 091 gearbox with a 2.0 Porsche 911 S installed in my old 80 vanagon! Water pumps? they are pretty much over capacity for the engine..Ditto the cooling systems..The one I like the the Land Rover (notajeep, get it?) bulletin that advised if operated as a stationary power unit (PTO) at full power in temperatures over 122F ambient that an oil cooler should be fitted.!!!....And here we are instumenting our cooling system pressure? oye... Maintain them (like,when is the last time you changed your brake fluid???) fix things as they break (brake bleeder caps all there or are you going to snap off the bleeders when you go to change the fluid??) and DRIVE them! OK..I MAY put a pyrometer on the camper if I do put in the TD engine (I've done several of these and never bothered..but..)

So, Ray, there is, somewhere, a document, a test report or some such thing that gives the flow rate of the pump along with the horse power requred. Knowing the germans it is complete with pages of data about suction, head, temperatures and all that..but I cannot imagine where you'd find it..and what you would do about it if you didn't like the answer! Scoobie-Do engines? sure!..if the pipes/hoses/radiator can flow what the original car had, the engine dosen't care if it's in a vanagon, a 4x4 japanese car or a boat...

Don't mind me..I'm a grouch....

steve

"Hey! nice Jeep, Mister! " "Look kid, it's NOTAJEEP! "