Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Feb 2001 09:12:59 -0800
From:         Craig Spaeth <spaeth@GORGE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Might be buying'86 Vanagon automatic

I have been an adamant automatic hater all of my life. I passed looking at a few nice Westy's because they were automatic. Then we found the 90 Multi Van in Seattle with such low mileage that we went and looked anyway. It looked good, but that automatic thing. For the first time in years I drove an automatic. I was sure there would not be enough power, but it was fine. After about 6mos. of automatic ownership I love the automatic and would probably look for one again. It actually pulls freeway type low hills better than the stick as the gear ratios (or what ever it is in that mystical box underneath) seem to be much better matched to the engine. In steeper mountain type driving you might find the stick to be a little quicker but we took 7 people up to Mt Hood a little while back and it did not bog down much worse than my sisters Syncro. The one gripe I have is that the low gear is not very low, so if it were actually really slick and you needed to creep down some ice covered hill you would be out of luck and just have to use the brakes. We have a couple of Quantum Syncros at the moment so don't plan on using the Vanagon in the really slick stuff, but I am sure it will happen sometime. We bought the van before finding out that they are more reliable as well. So far I am happy with driving the Auto, (but it really makes me feel old). Craig the Gorge VW club gorgevwclub.com