Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Feb 2001 20:41:59 -1000
From:         Alan Hong <ahong@GTE.NET>
Subject:      Lug nut lubrication or not?

Aloha all,

On the bottom of the rear hatch of my '89 Wolfsburg, next to the latch, is a yellow warning sticker in five languages. The English version reads "CAUTION When changing wheels use only approved tyres and wheels and the specified wheel bolts/nuts. Fit wheel fasteners without lubrication. Contact your VW/Audi dealer."

Since Volkswagen felt strong enough to go through the trouble of attaching such a specific sticker, and printed the no lubrication part in bolt print, I feel they must have a good reason.

Where they placed the sticker would make sense on my old bus model, with the spare in the rear, but not on the vanagon. Would have made more sense to put the sticker on the bag that the jack is in, or on the jack itself.

I use an eighteen inch breaker bar and socket with my wheels, since the provided lug wrench is too difficult to use.

Funny that the owner's manual gives torque specifications, and a highlighted warning that "accumulated road dirt must be removed from inside and outside of the wheel nut/bolt holes to assure a secure mount...", but does not mention anything about not lubricating the fasteners. Could be something VW discovered later.

By the way, this winter, the surf got high enough to wash over the road in some areas. We can honestly say the we also have road salt in the winter in Hawaii.

Aloha, Alan "89 Wolfsburg Honolulu, Hawaii

[text/html]