Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Feb 2001 14:46:14 -0500
From:         "Horace K. Sawyer" <firestream@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Libel / retraction demanded in 24 hours
Comments: To: sxs@concentric.net

Excuse me Schwenk, I certainly do have a license, and certainly may discuss law and the legal system anytime I want to. Its called the First Amendment. : )

Your reliance on state specific law is misplaced. Surely you aware of the United States Code, providing for FEDERAL crimes, which applies in every state. Are federal prosecutions a new topic to you?

In first year law school we learned that slander is spoken defamation. Libel is written. You have accused me of slander. Whom did I speak to with intent to defame?

Advising people? Legal advice comes with the attorney client privilege. There is none on this list. But I can surely help people in need. And do. Its called public service. Its part of being a contributing lawyer.

Your derogatory statement about my home state, why is that necessary? Is a Georgia lawyer less prominent than a California lawyer? Another state? Do you find it necessary to resort to such uncalled for remarks in your professional affairs? Please explain your factual basis in detail, otherwise I will presume there is none.

Accusing me of committing a crime? What crime? And where? Who is the alleged victim? What damages? What law would YOU apply?

You have no cause to do so, and you are libeling my name personally and professionally. This is not Friday, and your encouragement to invite someone to sue me without any legal basis is an ethical violation governing the practice of law on your part, and gives me a cause of action against you personally.

Surely you must have made these statements in error, so kindly issue an immediate retraction.

If not received within 24 hours then you will grant me a license to take whatever action I see fit against YOU to protect my rights. I think you know what I am talking about. And I will.

I am waiting.

Do not libel or slander my name or my family, personally or my professional reputation again, period. Do not send me any personal email on this subject. You have chosen a public forum, and I intend to hold you to it.

Sincerely, HK Sawyer

At 06:48 AM 2/4/01 -0800, sxs@concentric.net wrote: >Horrace, I must regretfully inform you that you are >practicing law without a license. sure, you may have >one in that little state you are from, but you are >advising people in states where you have no license. >I'm afraid that's a crime! > >You have also slandered the seller of the >certificates. You better be sure he actually committed >every element of the offense you are accusing him of, >here in a public forum no less. If he did not, that is >libel per se, and you my friend are liable for his >damages. And for his suffering. > >Go forward, Friends, and protect yourselves from >outrageous accusations like these. Sue the b*****. >He's asking for it! > >------------------------------ > >Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 22:42:49 -0500 >From: "Horace K. Sawyer" <firestream@MINDSPRING.COM> >Subject: Re: Birth Certificate Requests Received to >Date > >In the U.S. Attorney's Office we called mail and wire >fraud. >Sounds like this guy has bought himself a high priced >lawyer and a trip >to >U.S. District Court in his future if one of you were to >step forward. >Federal criminal charges have a way of making sinners >become saints >overnight, and I bet that money would reappear quickly, >plus interest and >costs. >Go forward friends and protect your fellow citizens >from becoming his >next >victims. > >HK