Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Feb 2001 11:59:20 -0800
From:         Ari Ollikainen <Ari@OLTECO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Off topic VW LT/Mercedes Sprinter question
Comments: To: Zach Kaplan <zakaplan@EARTHLINK.NET>

At 11:18 AM -0800 2/4/01, Zach Kaplan wrote: >I > >This looks like a really awesome van which will blow Ford and GM out >of the water as far as full size vans go. It has all sorts of other >advanced >features like a clean looking body, big windows, 4-wheel anti-lock disc >brakes standard and rack and pinion steering. The cargo version is >supposed to be available in the 3rd quarter of 2001, the passenger >version in the 4th quarter of 2001 and the chassis cab (both single >cab and double cab) some time in 2002. I'd highly recommend anyone >looking for an efficient European van and considering getting a VW >Eurovan to hold off for the Mercedes-Freightliner Sprinter. I've >heard a fuel economy figure of 21 mpg city and 35 mpg highway. That >is probably for the low roof, short wheelbase model but still great >fuel economy for a full size van. They don't have the prices out yet >but I'm told it will be priced very competitively with full size >Ford and GM vans. It will have an optional left side sliding door, >be available in 3 wheelbase lengths and two roof heights. I know in >Europe it is available with all wheel drive, side window air bags, >automatic engine start-stop for city traffic economy and alternative >fuel engines. >

Pictures included in the press release that can be found at http://www.freightliner.com/corp/press_release.asp?id=208

Both the cargo (LWB version) and the passenger van have great potential for camping conversion...