Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Feb 2001 18:24:55 -0700
From:         Steve Blackham <steph@USWEST.NET>
Subject:      Workin on the third
Comments: cc: type2@type2.com

I pulled the plugs and did a compression check. 120 -130 psi semiwarm. Plugs looked brown, no soot. Don't think they've been changed in a while. Reset the timing and she run smoother. I noticed that this one has points. I thought all Vanagons were electronic but looking at Bentley I see that early air cooled Fed s were not.

I suspect that I have a weak lifter but will pull them when I pull the engine train and inspect. Tempted to put back in solids. A little adjusting is easier than replacing bad lifters, plus I think you get better power and longevity with solids.

I think I know why it was leaking slightly thru the rear seal. When I popped the valve covers a quart of oil leaked out. The PO must have overfilled the oil. I'll replace the rear seal anyway.

Need to find a good source for a rebuilt tranny. Please let me know if you have a lead. Going to pull the drive train tomorrow and would like to get this thing buttoned back up by next week and on the road.

Thanks for your help

-- Steve Blackham Centerville, Utah

77 transporter converted to camper (Westy top) 83 Vanagon (New and current project) 87 Weekender